CD Friends of Old Time Music: The Folk Arrival 1961-1965 [Box] (CD 598724),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Friends of Old Time Music: The Folk Arrival 1961-1965 [Box]
1. I'm Troubled - Doc Watson & Family
2. Country Blues, The - Dock Boggs
3. Going Down to the River - Mississippi Fred McDowell
4. East Virginia Blues - Roscoe Holcomb
5. Storms Are on the Ocean, The - Mother Maybelle Carter
6. Dream of the Miner's Child, The - The Stanley Brothers
7. Soldier's Joy - Hobart Smith
8. Coffee Blues - Mississippi John Hurt
9. Live and Let Live - Bill Monroe
10. Lonely Tombs - The Watson Family
11. Rockin' Boogie - Jesse Fuller
12. Brown's Dream - Doc Watson/Gaither Carlton
13. Down South Blues - Dock Boggs
14. Knoxville Blues - Sam McGee
15. Have a Feast Here Tonight - The Stanley Brothers
16. Riley - Georgia Sea Island Singers
17. Buck and Wing - Jesse Fuller
0. DISC 2:
1. Hell Among the Yearlings - Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith
2. Amelia Earhart's Last Flight - The Greenbriar Boys
3. Brakeman's Blues, The - Bill Monroe
4. Foggy Mountain Top
5. Hick's Farewell - Doc Watson
6. Jordan Is a Hard Road to Travel - The New Lost City Ramblers
7. Write Me a Few of Your Lines - Mississippi Fred McDowell
8. Bimini Gal - Joseph Spence
9. Shady Grove - Bill Monroe
10. Grey Eagle - Bill Monroe
11. Walkin' the Dog
12. San Francisco Bay Blues - Jesse Fuller
13. Short Life of Trouble - Doc Watson
14. John Henry - Roscoe Holcomb
15. Kneelin' Down Inside the Gate - Stanley Thompson
16. Tell Me Why You Like Roosevelt - McKinley Peebles
17. Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow - Mother Maybelle Carter
18. Mansions for Me - The Stanley Brothers
19. Before This Time Another Year - Bessie Jones
0. DISC 3:
1. My Creole Belle - Mississippi John Hurt
2. Guitar Lesson - Jesse Fuller
3. Cincinnati Blues - Jesse Fuller
4. Poor Boy in Jail - Dock Boggs
5. He's Solid Gone - Mother Maybelle Carter
6. Maggie Walker Blues - Clarence Ashley
7. Chevrolet - Emma Ramsay/Ed Young
8. Rising Sun Blues - Roscoe Holcomb
9. Lord, Build Me a Cabin in Glory - Bill Monroe
10. Frankie and Albert - Mississippi John Hurt
11. Hard Times
12. Miller's Will, The - Horton Barker
13. Coo Coo Bird, The - Clarence Ashley
14. Double File - Doc Watson/Gaither Carlton
15. Wandering Boy, The - Annie Bird
16. Stranger Blues - Jesse Fuller
17. I Saw the Light - Bill Monroe
18. Sugar Hill - Mother Maybelle Carter
19. Amazing Grace - Clarence Ashley
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 40160
Pete Reiniger; Peter K. Siegel
Peter Bartok; Peter K. Siegel
Personnel: Bill Monroe (vocals, tenor, mandolin); Arnold Watson (vocals, bass voice, banjo, harmonica); Mother Maybelle Carter, Roscoe Holcomb (vocals, guitar, banjo); Doc Watson, McKinley Peebles, John Hurt, Jack Cooke, John Herald, Joseph Spence, Mississippi John Hurt, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Clint Howard, Carter Stanley (vocals, guitar); Jesse Fuller (vocals, acoustic 12-string guitar, harmonica, kazoo, cymbals); Clarence Ashley, Dock Boggs, Tom Paley (vocals, banjo); Fred Price (vocals, fiddle); Ed Young (vocals, fife); Ethel McPhee, Edith Pinder, Emma Ramsay, Annie Bird, Horton Baker, John Davis & the Georgia Sea Island Singers, Stanley Thompson, Bessie Jones (vocals); Ralph Stanley, Bob Yellin (tenor, banjo); Del McCoury (baritone, banjo); Ralph Rinzler (baritone, mandolin); Clifford Ellis (bass voice); Mike Seeger (guitar, fiddle); John Cohen, Sam McGee, John Cooke (guitar); Hobart Smith, Kirk McGee (banjo); Curley Lambert (mandolin); Gaither Carlton, Fiddlin' Arthur Smith & His Dixieliners, Kenny Baker , Vernon Derrick (fiddle).
Liner Note Authors: Jody Stecher; John Cohen; Peter K. Siegel.
Introduction by: John Cohen.
Photographers: David Gahr; Anton Mikofsky; Guy Droussart; John Cohen; Alan Lomax; Mike Seeger; Robert Frank .
Arrangers: Doc Watson; Dock Boggs; Gaither Carlton; Ed Young; John Hurt; John Davis & the Georgia Sea Island Singers; Mother Maybelle Carter.
The Friends of Old Time Music concerts were an attempt to introduce '60s folkniks to the source, and the incredible three-CD FRIENDS OF OLD TIME MUSIC: THE FOLK ARRIVAL 1961-1965 picks up where Harry Smith's seismically influential ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC left off. Filled with live snapshots (many previously unreleased) of some of the biggest names in American folk and blues--Maybelle Carter, Roscoe Holcomb, Mississippi John Hurt, Fred MacDowell, Dock Boggs and many, many others--decades after the recordings that made them famous were released, this box set also represents the last hurrah for many of those artists and, consequently, the passing of a generational torch.
Uncut (p.89) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "This mesmerising set by several ANTHOLOGY figures, plus Bill Monroe, Doc Watson, Maybelle Carter and others, brings the gravity of the moment home."
Dirty Linen (p.67) - "The performances are inspiring, and the sound quality is superb....The first disc includes a genre-and color-line-busting banjo and vocal performance of 'The Country Blues' by Boggs."
No Depression (p.77) - "As the collection's subtitle implies, the folk revival starts here. The people whose applause you hear were touched in many ways by hearing these performances."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.105) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "The 55 tracks, each of them fabulous, together add up to a collection almost as powerful as the Harry Smith ANTHOLOGY OF AMERICAN FOLK MUSIC box."
Be The First To Write A Review
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings 40160
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright