CD How Can I Keep from Singing, Vol. 1 (CD 170399),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
How Can I Keep from Singing, Vol. 1
1. My Heart Keeps Singing - Elder J.E. Burch
2. Woke up This Morning - Roosevelt Graves and Brother
3. Standing on the Promises - Taskiana Four
4. I Can Tell the World About This - Laura Henton
5. Walking in Sunlight - Uncle Dave Macon
6. This Song of Love - Middle Georgia Singing Convention
7. It Won't Be Long Till My Grave Is Made - Norman Woodlieff/Walter Smith
8. I'm Gonna Cross the River of Jordan Some O'These Days - Jaybird Coleman
9. My Loved Ones Are Waiting - Carolina Ladies Quartette
10. True Friendship - Rev. J.C. Burnett
11. Weeping Pilgrim - Allison's Sacred Harp Singers
12. Sleep On, Mother Sleep On - Lonnie McIntorsh
13. My Christian Friends in Bonds of Love - Elder Golden Harris
14. He's Got Better Things for You - Memphis Sanctified Singers
15. God Leads His Dear Children Along - Rev Joseph Callender
16. Coronation - Daniels-Deason Sacred Harp Singers
17. I Want to Go Where Jesus Is - Slim Ducket/Pig Norwood
18. Great Transaction's Done, The - Rev. J.O. Hanes & Choir
19. Every Time I Feel the Spirit - Rev. H.B Jackson
20. Come Let Us Eat Together - Rev. E.D Campbell & Congregation
21. Bringing in the Sheaves - The Mountain Singers Male Quartette
22. Will David Play His Harp for Me - Rev. & Mrs. Edward Boone
23. Who'll Join This Union? - Nazarene Congregational Church Choir Of Brooklyn
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 2020
Audio Remasterer: Richard Nevins.
Liner Note Authors: Don Kent; Richard Nevins.
Another of Yazoo Records' wonderful themed compilations, How Can I Keep From Singing is a collection of sacred music from the 1920s and 1930s. It provides an indispensable series of portraits that sheds light on how people from the period celebrated their religion in song. Beyond historical significance, every performance here is an enjoyable listening experience, and there are many highlights. Jay Bird Coleman delivers a fantastic harmonica duet with Ollis Martin on "I'm Gonna Cross the River of Jordan." Their performance is raw and seems to lie outside of the confines of the church, much closer to the earth. The music seems to jump out of the recording. "He's Got Better Things for You" by the Memphis Sanctified Singers is equally exciting and is sung so beautifully that it could win the church new converts. "He's got the holy ghost and the fire," the singer advertises. This is religious music, but she isn't above making the song a showcase for her unique style as she growls her way through the chorus. On "Woke Up This Morning," Roosevelt Graves & Brother create a joyful syncopation with two voices, guitar, and some basic percussion. Typically, Yazoo gives no thought to musical or racial segregation. Thus, the heavily stylized voice of Rev. H.B. Jackson is backed by the authentic gospel sounds of Rev. E.D. Campbell & Congregation. Uncle Dave Macon (a white, vaudeville-influenced performer), who delivers a humorous, spoken introduction on "Walking in Sunlight," is followed by the unique tradition of sacred harp singing on a performance by the Middle Georgia Singing Convention. Slim Ducket & Pig Norwood's wonderful, subdued reading of "I Want to Go Where Jesus Is," which seems to bear the mark of a blues (secular) performer, is up against Rev. J.O. Hanes. The group's "The Great Transaction's Done," with its inclusion of a sermon, attempts to recreate the environment of a church meeting on record. By making faith the only requirement, Yazoo has brought together a range of performers, styles, and voices to gather and congregate, resulting in a blend that's all too rare. ~ Nathan Bush
Be The First To Write A Review
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright