CD Southern Blues, Vol. 1 (CD 1050913),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Southern Blues, Vol. 1
1. I'm Leaving Town - William Harris
2. Mistreatin' Blues - Frank Stokes
3. Canned Heat Blues - Tommy Johnson
4. Dry Land Blues - Furry Lewis
5. Last Time Blues - Charlie McCoy
6. Elder Greene Blues - Charley Patton
7. Never Drive a Stranger from Your Door - Willie Harris
8. Dough Roller Blues - Garfield Akers
9. Beale Street Breakdown - Jed Davenport
10. Skinny Legs Blues - Geeshie Wiley
11. Stop and Listen - Mississippi Sheiks
12. I Let My Daddy Do That - Hattie Hart
13. Little Girl in Rome - Otto Virgial
14. It's Cold in China Blues - The Mississippi Moaner
15. Ins and Outs of My Girl, The - Bo Carter
16. Skippy Whippy - Mississippi Jook Band
17. Preachin' Blues - Robert Johnson
18. Lonesome World - Robert Lee McCoy
19. Spider Bite Blues
20. Special Streamline - Bukka White
21. Jailhouse Blues - Sleepy John Estes
22. Mozelle Blues - Tommy McClennan
23. Standin' at My Window - Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup
24. Anna Mae - Cecil Gant
25. No Good Woman Blues - Rudy Greene
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 130
Performers include: Furry Lewis, Charlie McCoy, Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Bukka White, Sleepy John Estes.
Personnel: Robert Lee McCoy (vocals, guitar, harpsichord); Otto Virgial, Frank Stokes, Garfield Akers, Geeshie Wiley, Robert Johnson, Sleepy John Estes, William Harris, Bo Carter, Bukka White, Charley Patton (vocals, guitar); Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup (vocals, electric guitar); Furry Lewis, Hattie Hart, Jimmy DeBerry (vocals); Joe Robinson (spoken vocals, guitar); Landers Waller, Allen Shaw, Roosevelt Graves and Brother, Willie Harris, Big Joe Williams (guitar); Henry "Son" Sims (violin); Jed Davenport (harmonica); James Williams (piano); Washboard Sam (washboard); Uaroy Graves (tambourine).
Recording information: Birmingham, AL (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); Chicago, IL (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); Grafton, WI (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); Hattiesburg, MS (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); Jackson, MS (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); Memphis Audutorim, Memphis, TN (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); Memphis, TN (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); New York, NY (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); Peabody Hotel, Memphis, TN (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); San Antonio, TX (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); Shreveport, LA (07/22/1927-04/15/1942); St. Charles Hotel, New Orleans, LA (07/22/1927-04/15/1942).
The first of a two- volume set from British label Acrobat, Southern Blues, Volume 1 brings together an interesting group of 78s from American blues singers. There are a few well- known names here (Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Bukka White), but most of the selections are by more obscure artists, which is the real strength of this compilation. Highlights include rare tracks from Geeshie Wiley ("Skinny Leg Blues"), and Garfield Akers ("Dough Roller Blues"). ~ Steve Leggett
Be The First To Write A Review
Acrobat (USA) ACRCD 130
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright