CD Southern Blues, Vol. 2 [Bonus Track] (CD 1050914),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Southern Blues, Vol. 2 [Bonus Track]
1. Mamlish Blues - Ed Bell
2. Gone Dead on You Blues - Blind Lemon Jefferson
3. Nappy Head Blues - Bob Grant
4. Cocaine Blues - Luke Jordan
5. Three Woman Blues - Blind Willie McTell
6. Superstitious Blues - Hattie Burleson
7. Bull Doze Blues - Henry Thomas
8. Lonesome Trail Blues - Emma Wright
9. Gonna Tip Out Tonight - Pink Anderson
10. Rolling Mill Blues - Peg Leg Howell
11. Pennsylvania Woman Blues - Six Cylinder Smith
12. Shelby Country Workhouse Blues
13. South Carolina Rag - Willie Walker
14. Atlanta Moan - Barbecue Bob
15. Howling Wolf Blues, Pt. 1 - Funny Paper Smith
16. Diddle-Da-Diddle - Georgia Cotton Pickers
17. Katy Crossin' Blues - Alger "Texas" Alexander
18. B.D. Woman's Blues - Lucille Bogan
19. Rag, Mama, Rag - Blind Boy Fuller
20. Ninth Street Stomp - Bernice Edwards
21. Sundown Blues - Blind Norris
22. Sweet Woman Blues
23. Fannie Mae Blues - Pinetop Burks
24. Alberta - Stick Horse Hammond
25. If You Change You Ways Woman
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 131
Performers include: Blind Lemmon Jefferson, Blind Willie McTell, Georgie Cotton Pickers, Pinetop Burks, Bernice Edwards, Barbecue Bob.
Personnel: Henry Thomas (vocals, guitar, reed pipe); Simmie Dooley (vocals, guitar, kazoo); Curley Weaver, Ed Bell, Pinetop Burks, Stick Horse Hammond, Six Cylinder Smith, Funny Paper Smith, Luke Jordan, Peg Leg Howell, Pink Anderson, Barbecue Bob, Willie Walker, Blind Boy Fuller, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie McTell, Bob Grant (vocals, guitar); Blind Norris (vocals, kazoo); Hattie Burleson, Emma Wright, Lucille Bogan, Alger "Texas" Alexander (vocals); Sam Brooks, Blind Gary Davis, Andrew Hogg (guitar); Buddy Moss (harmonica); Leroy Williams , Don Albert (trumpet); Charlie Dixon (tuba); Alexander Herman Moore, Walter Roland, Bernice Edwards, Black Boy Shine (piano); Bull City Red (washboard).
Recording information: Atlanta, GA (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); Austin, TX (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); Birmingham, AL (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); Charlotte, NC (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); Chicago, IL (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); Dallas, TX (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); Forth Worth, TX (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); Grafton, WI (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); New York, NY (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); San Antonio, TX (08/16/1927-??/??/1950); Shreveport, LA (08/16/1927-??/??/1950).
The second of two installments from British label Acrobat, Southern Blues, Volume 2 brings together an interesting set of 78s from American blues artists. There are some well-known names here (Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Boy Fuller), but most of the singers are relatively obscure, and the rarity of the tracks is the strength of this compilation. Highlights include Henry Thomas' "Bull Doze Blues" (the reed part here was taken note for note to form the intro to Canned Heat's "Going Up Country," a hit 60 years later), Pink Anderson's "Gonna Tip Out Tonight," and Peg Leg Howell's "Rolling Mill Blues." ~ Steve Leggett
Be The First To Write A Review
Acrobat (USA) ACRCD 131
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright