CD 100% Handmade Bluegrass (CD 874475),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
100% Handmade Bluegrass
1. Way Downtown - Jody Stecher (from "Going Up On The Mountain")
2. Victim to the Tomb - Old & In the Gray (from "Old & The Gray")
3. Telluride - David Grisman Quintet (from "DGQ 20")
4. Cabin of Love - David Grisman/The Del McCoury Band (from "Life Of Sorrow")
5. How Mountain Girls Can Love - David Grisman/Ralph Stanley/Clinch Mt Boys (previously unreleased, bonus track)
6. Watson Blues - David Grisman/Doc Watson/The Nashville Bluegrass Band (from "Doc & Dawg")
7. Love Please Come Home - David Grisman/Herb Pedersen/Jim Buchanan/Red Allen (from "Bluegrass Reunion")
8. Dusty Miller - David Grisman/Frank Wakefield/Jesse McReynolds/Ricky Skaggs/Ronnie McCoury/Sam Bush/Bobby Osborne/Buck White (from "Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza")
9. 'Tis Sweet to Be Remembered - Frank Wakefield/Red Allen (from "The Kitchen Tapes")
10. Honkey Tonk Woman - Old & In the Gray (from "Old & The Gray")
11. I Don't Want Your Mandolins Mister - David Grisman/Tony Rice (from "Tone Poems")
12. Drifting Too Far from the Shore - Old & In the Way (from "Breakdown")
13. Dawggy Mt. Breakdown - The David Grisman Bluegrass Experience (from "DGQ")
14. Is It Too Late Now? - (from "Bluegrass Reunion")
15. Orange Blossom Special - Old & In the Way (from "That High Lonesome Sound")
16. Angel Band - Charles Sawtelle (from "Rancho De Ville")
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 56
Personnel: Del McCoury, Red Allen (vocals, tenor, guitar); Jody Stecher, Peter Rowan, Ralph Stanley II, Charles Sawtelle (vocals, guitar); Frank Wakefield, Ronnie McCoury (vocals, mandolin); Herb Pedersen, Ralph Stanley (tenor, banjo); John Herald (tenor); Jerry Garcia (baritone, banjo); David Grisman (baritone, mandolin); Doc Watson, John Carlini, Tony Rice (guitar); Fred Sokolow, Alan O'Bryant, Rob McCoury (banjo); Jesse McReynolds, Joe Craven, Ricky Skaggs, Bobby Osborne, Buck White (mandolin); James Price, Jason Carter , Jim Buchanan, Stuart Duncan, Vassar Clements, Brantley Kearns (fiddle).
Liner Note Author: Douglass M. Green.
Arrangers: David Grisman; Tony Rice.
David "Dawg" Grisman deserves high praise from bluegrass fans for the extraordinary releases of his Acoustic Disc label. This anthology contains 16 tracks excerpted from the making of a dozen CDs for his company, most of which feature the mandolin great as either the leader or a sideman. There's so much good music that it's impossible to name favorites among Grisman's quartet and quintet recordings or the various all-star meetings of bluegrass greats, though the meeting of eight different mandolin players in "Dusty Miller," the hilarious uptempo bluegrass rendition of the Rolling Stones' "Honky Tonk Woman," and Grisman's duet of "I Don't Want Your Mandolins Mister" with the phenomenal guitarist Tony Rice are not to be missed. Grisman isn't present on two songs: the traditional favorite "Way Downtown" in a stirring performance by guitarist Jody Stecher's quartet, and the late Red Allen in a homespun duet with mandolinist Frank Wakefield on "'Tis Sweet to be Remembered." Those who have every Acoustic Disc release featured on this disc will be tempted by the inclusion of a previously unreleased version of "How Mountain Gals Can Love," featuring the great harmonies and picking of Ralph Stanley, Ralph Stanley II, and the Dawg himself. ~ Ken Dryden
Be The First To Write A Review
Acoustic Disc 56
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright