CD ...And the Answer Is: Great Country Answer Discs from '50s-'60s, Vol. 1 (CD 1206136),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
...And the Answer Is: Great Country Answer Discs from '50s-'60s, Vol. 1
1. Wild Side of Life - Hank Thompson
2. It Wasn't God Who Makde Honky Tonk Angels - Kitty Wells
3. Back Street Affair - Webb Pierce
4. Paying For That Back Street Affair - Kitty Wells
5. There Stands the Glass - Webb Pierce
6. Please Throw Away the Glass - Betty Cody
7. Yesterday's Girl - Hank Thompson
8. I'm Yesterday's Girl - Goldie Hill
9. I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know - The Davis Sisters
10. I Found Out More Than You Ever Knew About Him - Betty Cody
11. I Really Don't Want to Know - Eddy Arnold
12. I Really Want You to Know - Betty Cody
13. Don't Let the Stars Get in Your Eyes - Skeets McDonald
14. I Let the Stars Get in My Eyes - Goldie Hill
15. Long Black Veil - Lefty Frizzell
16. My Long Black Veil - Marijohn Wilkin
17. I Fall to Pieces - Patsy Cline
18. I'll Pick up the Pieces - Gerrie Lynn
19. Mexican Joe - Jim Reeves
20. Marriage of Mexican Joe, The - Carloyn Bradshaw
21. Jambalaya - Hank Williams
22. I'm Yvonne (From the Bayou) - Goldie Hill
23. Dear John Letter, A - Jean Shepard/Ferlin Husky
24. Forgive Me, John - Jean Shepard/Ferlin Husky
25. Geisha Girl - Hank Locklin
26. Lost to a Geisha Girl - Skeeter Davis
27. Fraulein - Bobby Helms
28. I'll Always Be Your Fraulein - Kitty Wells
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 15791
Bear Family's three-volume And the Answer Is: Great Answer Discs from the '50s and '60s series documents the phenomenon of answer records, presenting both the original hit and the response to the single. These were songs designed to respond to hit singles, with the hopes that the second record would climb up the charts as well. Answer records were prevailant in pop and R&B as well as country, but on And the Answer Is: Vols. 1 and 3, Bear Family concentrates on country records. At their best, answer records became classics of their own -- Kitty Wells' "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels," and her response to Hank Thompson's "Wild Side of Life," arguably became even more famous than the record it was answering -- but most of the singles were simply novelties. Consequently, the music here is for fetishists and collectors -- after all, the average fan doesn't need to hear Jim Reeves' "Mexican Joe" followed by Carolyn Bradshaw's "The Marriage of Mexican Joe" -- but for any country or pop music fan with an interest in the arcane and unusual, And the Answer Is is a very enjoyable series. Highlights of Vol. 1 include Webb Pierce's "There Stands the Glass" / Betty Cody's "Please Throw Away the Glass," Hank Thompson's "Yesterday's Girl" / Goldie Hill's "I'm Yesterday's Girl," Skeets McDonald's "Don't Let the Stars Get In Your Eyes" / Goldie Hill's "I Let the Stars Get In My Eyes," Hank Williams' "Jambalaya" / Goldie Hill's "I'm Yvonne (From the Bayou)," and Hank Locklin's "Geisha Girl" / Skeeter Davis' "Lost to a Geisha Girl." ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Be The First To Write A Review
Bear Family Records (Germany) 15791
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.