CD Art Of Old-Time Mountain Music (CD 143819),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Art Of Old-Time Mountain Music
1. Old Molly Hare - Haywood Blevins
2. Old Blind Sow, She Stole the Middlins - John W. Summers
3. High Toned Dance, The - Glenn Ohrlin
4. Po' Black Sheep - Frazier & Patterson
5. High on a Mountain - Ola Belle Reed
6. McMinnville's Breakdown - Owen Chapman (previously unreleased)
7. One More River to Cross - Wilson Douglas
8. Rocky Mountain - Bruce Molsky & Big Hoedown
9. Protecting the Innocent - Eugene Wright/Oscar Wright/Oscar & Eugene Wright
10. Death of J.B. Marcum - Asa Martin (previously unreleased)
11. Benton's Dream - Smokey Val Boys
12. House Carpenter, The - Dorothy Rorick
13. Rabbit, Where's Your Mammy? - Jim Herd (previously unreleased)
14. Black Eyed Daisy - Joe Thompson/Odell Thompson
15. Boatman Song, The - Marvin Gaster
16. Kicked up a Devil of a Row - Charlie Kinney (previously unreleased)
17. Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie - Fields Ward
18. Red Bird - Clark Kessinger
19. Farewell Trion - James Bryan/Bob Carlin
20. Lost Indian - Mose Coffman
21. Old Time Fire on the Mountain - Dent Wimmer/Sam Connor
22. Fox Chase - Dink Roberts
23. Tucker's Barn - Doc Watson/Gaither Carlton
24. Feed My Horse on Corn and Hay - Perry Riley
25. I'm a Long Time Travelling Here Below - Almeda Riddle
26. Blackberry Blossom - Ralph Blizard & The New Southern Ramblers
27. Go on, Nora Lee - Sam McGee/Uncle Dave Macon (previously unreleased)
28. Conversation With Death, A - Lloyd Chandler
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 611599
Charles K. Wolfe; Lou Curtiss; Bill Nowlin; Marian Leighton; Bruce Molsky & Big Hoedown; Blanton Owen; Phil Jamison; Gordy Hinners; John Cohen; Ken Irwin; Ralph Rinzler; Wayne Martin; Tom Carter; Bob Carlin; Kerry Blech (Compilation)
Adam Greenberg; Kerry Blech; Lou Curtiss; John Work; Bill Nowlin; Glenn Barratt; Blanton Owen; John Cohen; Kip Lornell; Alan Jabbour; Ralph Rinzler; Ronnie Freeland; Art Rosenbaum; Wayne Martin; Tom Carter; Bob Carlin
Includes liner notes by Kerry Blech.
This is part of Rounder Records' Heritage series.
Personnel: Sam McGee (vocals, guitar, banjo); Glen Ohrlin, Asa Martin, Beverly Smith (vocals, guitar); Dink Roberts, Dorothy Rorick, Nathan Frazier, Ola Belle Reed, Uncle Dave Macon (vocals, banjo); Joe & Odell Thompson, Bruce Molsky & Big Hoedown, Odell Thompson (vocals, fiddle); Fields Ward, Lloyd Chandler, Almeda Riddle (vocals); Haywood Blevins (spoken vocals, piano); David Reed, Doc Watson, Gene Meade, Pat Dunford, Eugene Wright, Bud Reed, Gordon McCann, Beth Hartness, Stan Jackson, Larry Flippen, Annadeene Fraley, Phil Jamison, Alan Reed, Norman Blake, Paul Sutphin, Buddy Thomas (guitar); Dent Wimmer, Gilmer Woodruff, Earl Barnes, Speedy Tolliver, Gordy Hinners, Marvin Gaster, Paul Smith , Rafe Stefanini, Art Rosenbaum, Bob Carlin, Oscar Wright (banjo); Hoyle Jones (mandolin); John Miller , Clark Kessinger, Gaither Carlton, Mose Coffman, Jim Gaskin, James Bryan , John Summers, Owen Chapman, Perry Riley, Ralph Blizard, Sam Connor, Art Galbraith, Wilson Douglas, Benton Flippen, Charlie Kinney (fiddle).
Liner Note Author: Kerry Blech.
Recording information: Asheville, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Bel Air, MD (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Boston, MA (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Canada, KY (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Charlotte, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Copper Hill, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Deep Gap, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Devault, PA (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Dugspur, VA (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Durham, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Ennice, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Foxport, KY (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Haw River, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Hayes Crossing, KY (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Irvine, KY (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Jackson, MI (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Jackson, MS (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); La Jolla, CA (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Marion Indiana (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Marion, IN (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Nashville, TN (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Pine Ridge, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Princeton, WV (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Silver Spring, MD (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Sodom, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Sunnyside, WA (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); VA (12/17/1930-07/16/1998); Vance Motor Inn, Statesville, NC (12/17/1930-07/16/1998).
Introduction by: Doc Watson.
Photographers: Kerry Blech; Bill Nowlin.
Unknown Contributor Role: Gaither Carlton.
Northwestern fiddler Kerry Blech selected this 28-track compilation from the Rounder label's voluminous catalog of studio and field recordings of old-time music. The term "old-time" usually denotes a style of country music that is non-commercial and which predates bluegrass. The fiddle is often prominent, and while the five-string banjo is often involved, it is usually played in the older "clawhammer" style rather than the more ornate three-finger bluegrass or Scruggs style. But this album takes the listener far beyond the standard fiddle-guitar-and-banjo instrumentation, and even beyond the Appalachian region, to include unaccompanied singing (Almeda Riddle's "I'm a Long Time Traveling Here Below" is a gorgeous example), cowboy song (Glenn Ohrlin's hilarious "High Toned Dance"), and even one piano solo (Haywood Blevins' arrangement of the old-time standard "Old Molly Hare" that opens the program). There are also a couple of fine examples of the African-American banjo and fiddle traditions from Joe & Odell Thompson and Dink Roberts and, of course, plenty of the kind of old-time fiddling that most listeners will recognize as typical of the genre. Blech's annotations are extensive and insightful. Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson
Be The First To Write A Review
Rounder Select ROUCD 11599
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.