CD Bluegrass Mountain Style (CD 144533),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Bluegrass Mountain Style
1. Let the Whole World Talk - The Johnson Mountain Boys
2. Old Home Place, The - J.D. Crowe & the New South
3. Cincinnati Rag - Jerry Douglas
4. My Sweet Love Ain't Around - The McCoury Brothers
5. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow - Hazel Dickens
6. Texas Barbeque - Bla Fleck
7. Lost and I'll Never Find the Way - Ricky Skaggs
8. Sweet Little Miss Blues Eyes - Here Today
9. John Hardy - Tony Rice
10. Crosseyed Cricket - Tony Trischka
11. Who's That Kinockin' at My Door? - Dreadful Snakes
12. Your Letter's Overdue - Delia Bell/Bill Grant/Delia Bell & Bill Grant
13. Leather Britches - Sam Bush
14. Someone Play Dixie for Me - Dry Branch Fire Squad
15. Diamond Joe - Joe Val & The New England Bluegrass Boys
16. Whup of Love, The - Andy Statman
17. Too Late to Cry - Alison Krauss
18. You Are the One - Jim & Jesse
19. Cherokee Maggie - Blaine Sprouse
20. Old Devil's Dream - The Nashville Bluegrass Band
21. I'd Rather Be Alone - The Bluegrass Album Band
22. Rose of My Heart - The Whitstein Brothers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 611616
BLUEGRASS MOUNTAIN STYLE was originally released as Rounder Bluegrass Vol. 3 in 1988 and MY SWEET LOVE AIN'T AROUND in 2001.
Includes liner notes by Rainer Maria Rilke.
Personnel: Pat Enright (vocals, tenor, guitar); Ricky Skaggs (vocals, tenor, mandolin, fiddle); Del McCoury, Dudley Connell, Jim McReynolds, Peter Rowan, Ron Thomason, Tony Rice (vocals, guitar); Herb Pedersen (vocals, banjo); Jesse McReynolds, Joe Val, Roland White (vocals, mandolin); Alison Krauss (vocals, fiddle); Delia Bell, Robert Whitstein, Hazel Dickens, Bill Grant, Jerry McCoury (vocals); Vince Gill (tenor, guitar); Alan O'Bryant (tenor, banjo); Doyle Lawson, Dave Edmundson (tenor, mandolin); Charles Whitstein (tenor); J.D. Crowe, Bla Fleck (baritone, banjo); David Grisman (baritone, mandolin); Mary Jo Leet (baritone); John Hisey (bass voice, banjo); Russ Barenberg (guitar, acoustic guitar); David Parmley, Tommy Goldsmith, Lonnie Meeker, Dave Dillon, Norman Blake, Charlie Collins (guitar); Jerry Douglas (dobro); Sam Bush (banjo, mandolin, fiddle); Richard Underwood, Paul Silvius, Marc Pruett, Allen Shelton, Tony Trischka (banjo); Buck White (mandola, mandolin); David McLaughlin (mandolin, fiddle); Mike Compton, Andy Statman, Bob Applebaum (mandolin); Eddie Stubbs, Glen Duncan , Jim Buchanan, Stuart Duncan, Blaine Sprouse, Vassar Clements, Bobby Hicks (fiddle); Joseph Allen, Marty Confurius, Joey Allen (acoustic bass).
Liner Note Author: Rainer Maria Rilke.
Photographer: Marion Post Wolcott.
One of the great strengths of this bluegrass compilation is that, contrary to its title, it offers a very rich cross section of approaches to the tradition -- not only bluegrass mountain-style, but also bluegrass California-style, bluegrass urban-style, and bluegrass progressive-style. For the hardcore mountain stuff there are classic acid grass performances by the McCoury Brothers (whose rock-hard and piercing vocals on "My Sweet Love Ain't Around" constitute one of this album's highlights) and Ricky Skaggs (who delivers an absolutely slamming rendition of the high-lonesome classic "Lost and I'll Never Find the Way"). For a more urban sound you can skip over to mandolinist Andy Statman's swinging "The Whup of Love" or the late Joe Val's Boston-accented take on "Diamond Joe." California bluegrass legend Tony Rice depresses flatpickers everywhere with his fiery and headlong "John Hardy," and Tony Trischka continues his ongoing expansion of the bluegrass banjo vocabulary with his own composition entitled "Crosseyed Cricket," on which he moves easily between meat-and-potatoes Scrugs-style picking and complex melodic passages (Bla Fleck does much the same thing on his own "Texas Barbecue," which also features some fine work using Keith tuners). And that only scratches the surface of this 22-track collection. Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson
Be The First To Write A Review
Rounder Select 611616
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright