CD Boots, Buckles & Spurs: 50 Songs Celebrate 50 Years of Cowboy Tradition [Long Box] (CD 1314983),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Boots, Buckles & Spurs: 50 Songs Celebrate 50 Years of Cowboy Tradition [Long Box]
0. DISC 1:
1. Back In The Saddle Again (78rpm Version) - Gene Autry
2. I Want To Be A Cowboy's Sweetheart (78rpm Version) - Patsy Montana
3. Patent Leather Boots - Elton Britt & The Skytoppers
4. Dusty Skies - Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
5. Tumbling Tumbleweeds - The Sons of the Pioneers
6. Cattle Call, The - Eddy Arnold
7. Stampede - Roy Rogers & Sons Of The Pioneers
8. Rodeo Hand - Johnny Cash
9. Strawberry Roan, The - Marty Robbins
10. Ride, Ride, Ride - Lynn Anderson
11. Ride 'Em Cowboy - David Allan Coe
12. Wildfire - Michael Murphy
13. Let's All Help The Cowboys (Sing The Blues) - Waylon Jennings
14. Rita Ballou - Guy Clark
15. Bandy The Rodeo Clown - Moe Bandy
16. Mammas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys - Waylon Jennings/Willie Nelson
17. Cowboy's Last Ride - Jessi Colter
18. Bull Rider - Johnny Cash
0. DISC 2:
1. (We Are) The Cowboys - Billy Joe Shaver
2. My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys - Willie Nelson
3. I Was Born To Be A Cowboy - Red Steagall
4. Leavin' Cheyenne - Ian Tyson
5. Wayward Wind, The - James Galway
6. Oklahoma Borderline - Vince Gill
7. (Ghost) Riders In The Sky (Digitally Remastered, 1996) - Outlaws
8. Texas In 1880 - Foster & Lloyd
9. Silver Stallion - Waylon Jennings
10. Caballo Diablo - The Charlie Daniels Band
11. Hooked On An 8 Second Ride - Chris LeDoux
12. Hold On Partner - Clint Black/Roy Rogers
13. Rainbow Rider - Tanya Tucker
14. Coyotes - Don Edwards
15. Someday Soon - Suzy Bogguss
0. DISC 3:
1. All American Cowboy - Merle Haggard
2. Even Cowgirls Get The Blues - Rodney Crowell
3. Ropin' Pen - Trent Willmon
4. Cowpoke - Don Walser
5. Mesquite Cowboy Mind - Doug Supernaw
6. No Ordinary Man - Tracy Byrd
7. Farr Away Stomp - Riders in the Sky
8. I Can Still Make Cheyenne - George Strait
9. When Cowboys Didn't Dance - Lonestar
10. That Buckin' Song - Robert Earl Keen, Jr.
11. One Ride In Vegas - Deryl Dodd
12. Bull Ridin' Son Of A Gun - The Charlie Daniels Band
13. Wanted Dead Or Alive - Montgomery Gentry
14. Cowboy And Clown - Craig Morgan
15. Good Horses To Ride - Trent Willmon
16. Cowboy Town - Brooks & Dunn
17. Born To Buck Bad Luck - Michael Martin Murphey
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 88697398382
The cowboy as an actual occupation may have peaked before the end of the 19th century, but the mythology of the cowboy was just beginning when the recording industry began dipping into folk and regional music in the 1920s (film, radio, and television weren't far behind). It ensured that children would continue to play Cowboys & Indians for decades to come, then follow their favorite Singing (or acting) Cowboys on the silver screen and later, television. The rodeo tradition, closely related, has existed nearly as long as herding cattle, although it became professionalized and regimented beginning with the first National Finals Rodeo in 1959. Come 2008, and it's the 50th anniversary of that event, presented by Wrangler and governed by the oldest and largest rodeo organization, the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA). Despite its unwieldy title, the three-disc box set Boots, Buckles & Spurs: 50 Songs Celebrate 50 Years of Cowboy Tradition is a fine retrospective of the best cowboy-themed music during that time (much of it the same as what's heard over the PA at those events). When compared to other large compilations of cowboy music and Western swing, some have been better from a historical perspective -- 1993's Songs of the West from Rhino is still the best -- but as an all-encompassing look at the allure of the cowboy within country music over the last 50 years, it's perfectly primed. (And given that the combined catalogs of Sony and BMG are involved, it boasts one of the biggest casts of performers that one could hope for.) Presented in rough chronological order, it begins with Gene Autry's "Back in the Saddle Again" and, early on, pegs key Western material of the '40s and '50s (Sons of the Pioneers, Roy Rogers, Bob Wills). That still leaves most of the first disc, and all of discs two and three, to cover the '60s (briefly) and everything produced after. Naturally, these tracks aren't dusty old 45s of Tex Ritter moaning about blood in the saddle or the perils of rye whiskey; this is polished, high-energy country, perfect for booming out over a 50,000-kilowatt system, with cowboys often used as metaphors by singers who may not know much about the rodeo or cowboy tradition at all (the biggest exception being Chris LeDoux, the celebrated country singer and rodeo champion). Over 50 songs and well over three hours of music, a parade of country stars appear with their best Western moments, including Charlie Daniels, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Michael Martin Murphey, and Marty Robbins, as well as contemporary country stars George Strait, Clint Black, Vince Gill, Tracy Byrd, Montgomery Gentry, and Brooks & Dunn. If you have no problem seeing a continuous line of the cowboy within country music, with attendant dots for "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" by the Sons of the Pioneers, "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" by Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings, and a cover of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Montgomery Gentry, then this is just the set for you. ~ John Bush
Dirty Linen (p.65) - "Bucking broncos and the roar of the rodeo crowd provide plenty of inspiration for many of the rousing songs in this compilation..."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.116) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "BOOTS, BUCKLES & SPURS, designed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the National Finals Rodeo, brings the cowboy tune timeline up to date with tracks by Brooks & Dunn, Robert Earl Keen and other modern troubadours."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.105) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "This 50-song, 3 CD deluxe box set celebrates 50 years of the world's greatest cowboy rodeo happening....The lion's share emanate from the 60s and 70s heyday of the idiom..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Sony Music Distribution (
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.