CD Knee Deep in Bluegrass: The AcuTab Sessions (CD 251156),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Knee Deep in Bluegrass: The AcuTab Sessions
1. Lonesome Wind - Dan Tyminski/Ronnie Bowman/Sammy Shelor
2. Angeline the Baker - Kenny Smith/Tim Stafford
3. Knee Deep in Bluegrass - Alan Bibey/Ron Stewart/Terry Baucom/Tim Stafford/Barry Bales
4. Benny McCoy - Joe Mullins/Alan O'Bryant/Ron Stewart/Tim Stafford/Wayne Benson/Jason Moore
5. Turkey in the Straw - Ron Stewart/Sammy Shelor
6. Carter's Blues - Joe Mullins/Alan Bibey/Tim Stafford/Wayne Benson/Jason Moore/Butch Baldassari
7. Buffalo Creek - Adam Steffey/Ron Stewart/Tim Stafford/Barry Bales/Tony Trischka
8. Pretty Boy Floyd - Rob Ickes/Tim Stafford
9. Golden Slippers - Alan Bibey/Tim Stafford/Wayne Benson/Jason Moore/Butch Baldassari
10. By Stealth - Rob Ickes/Scott Vestal/Tim Stafford/Wayne Benson/Jason Moore
11. Home Run Man - Dan Tyminski/Alan Bibey/Mark Newton/Ron Stewart/Terry Baucom/Tim Stafford/Barry Bales
12. Four Leaf Clover - Alan Munde/Rob Ickes/Tim Stafford/Wayne Benson/Jason Moore
13. Li'l Liza Jane - Pete Wernick
14. Daddy's Dream - Ron Stewart/Sammy Shelor/Tim Stafford/Barry Bales
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1759
Kevin Clock; Tim Austin; Brent Truitt
Personnel: Tim Stafford (vocals, guitar); Alan O'Bryant, Mark Newton, Ronnie Bowman (vocals); Kenny Smith (guitar); Rob Ickes (dobro); Joe Mullins, Alan Munde, Pete Wernick, Sammy Shelor, Scott Vestal, Terry Baucom, Tony Trischka (banjo); Adam Steffey, Alan Bibey, Wayne Benson, Butch Baldassari (mandolin); Ron Stewart (fiddle).
Audio Mixers: Tim Stafford; Brent Truitt.
Recording information: Colorado Sound, Westminster, CO (07/26/1999-08/17/1999); Doobie Shea Studios, Boones Mill, VA (07/26/1999-08/17/1999); Monkey Finger Studios, Nashville, TN (07/26/1999-08/17/1999).
Arrangers: Alan Munde; Butch Baldassari.
AcuTab is a company that publishes music transcription books of many of contemporary bluegrass' most well-known and popular artists. Rebel Records' 2000 release Knee Deep in Bluegrass: The AcuTab Sessions pulled together some of the top names in bluegrass who are actively writing and recording music to record 14 tracks of both new and old pickin' tunes, all of which can be found in AcuTab's library. The list of performers reads like a list of International Bluegrass Music Association award nominees (and, in fact, they claim more than 65 IBMA awards combined) including Rob Ickes, Barry Bales, Alan Bibey, Ronnie Bowman, Mark Newton, Sammy Shelor, Ron Stewart, Tony Trischka, Dan Tyminski, and producer Tim Stafford just to name a few. The songs range from large ensemble numbers to gentle and sparse instrumentals, each of which are immaculately performed, with nary an errant note to be heard. Unfortunately due to a combination of several things (the unfamiliar group environment, the exactness of the recorded material, and the fact that the whole idea comes from a company that wants to teach people how to play bluegrass) the album comes off sounding a bit stiff and clinical. While the playing is spotless, the whole thing feels as though the performers may in fact be reading the music directly from AcuTab's instruction books. In it's own defense, the album did win the IBMA award for instrumental album of the year (despite the fact that there are several vocal tracks on the CD), and that alone is a testament to the fact that it should be recognized for what it is: a fine, well produced, superbly performed collection of both old and new bluegrass songs. Those who enjoy sunny and clean contemporary bluegrass will certainly enjoy Knee Deep in Bluegrass, but those who are looking for a strong group dynamic to accompany the excellent picking will be better off looking elsewhere. ~ Zac Johnson
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright