CD Northumberland Rant: Traditional Music from the Edge of England (CD 599563),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Northumberland Rant: Traditional Music from the Edge of England
1. Archie's Fancy / Holey Ha'penny - Billy Pigg
2. Keening The Wind / Alston Flower Show - Chris Ormston
3. La Russe / The Winshield's Hornpipe / Jane's Fancy / Da Road To Houll - The High Level Ranters
4. Rothbury Hills / Whittingham Green Lane / The Cott / Border Fray - Jack Armstrong
5. Murray River Jig / Roland And Cynthia Taylor / Alistair J. Sim - Willie Taylor
6. I Saw My Love Come Passing by Me - Anthony Robb
7. Dance De Chez Nous / Aunt Mary's Canadian / Neil Taylor's Jig - Willie Taylor/Joe Hutton/Will Atkinson
8. The Lady's Well / Random / Cliff, The: - Pauline Cato
9. Dargai - Anthony Robb
10. Skye Crofters - Billy Pigg
11. Torryburn Lasses: The Wandering Tinker / Marry Me Now / Mrs. Wedderburn / Randy Wives Of Greenlaw - Wayne Roberton/Nigel Jelks
12. Speed the Plough - Joe Hutton
13. There's Nae Guid Luck About The House / High Level Hornpipe - Billy Pigg
14. Robertson's Reel / The Grand Chain - Willie Taylor
15. Jock Of Hazeldean / Gentle Maiden - Colin Ross
16. The Pearl Wedding / Nancy Taylor's Reel - Willie Taylor
17. Lament For Ian Dickson - Anthony Robb
18. Keel Row / Durham Rangers / Greencastle / Hesleyside Reel / Yankee Doodle - Jack Armstrong/Barnstormers
19. Miss Hannah Ormston / Katie Elliot's Jig - Chris Ormston
20. Mr. Nelson's Birthday Waltz - Kathryn Tickell
21. Border Spirit - Billy Pigg
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 40473
Burt Feintuch (Compilation)
Contains field, studio, and archival recordings made between 1954 and 1998.
Includes liner notes by Burt Feintuch.
Northumbrian folk music is often characterized by instrumental music played on smallpipes, which differ from other bagpipes in that their chanters (or melody pipes) are chromatic and closed at the bottom end, which enables them to produce shorter, more staccato notes. Smallpipe instrumentals are the main, but not exclusive, fare on this collection, consisting of performances recorded in the field and studio between 1954 and 1998 (mostly from the latter portion of that time frame). The fiddle also features strongly on some of the selections, either alone or in tandem with the Northumbrian pipes and other instruments. The contrast between the types of instrumentation alone provides more variety than many a British Isles folk compilation. But the Northumbrian pipes are the main attractions, as they have a tonal clarity and economy not associated with much bagpipe music. The 1954 field recording by Jack Armstrong & the Barnstormers has that slightly wobbly feel beloved by those who like their folk with a faint patina of moldy mystery, but for the most part the tracks are of very modern fidelity. ~ Richie Unterberger
CMJ (12/20/99, p.29) - "...features jumpy fiddle tunes, rousing piping on various flutes and bagpipes, and pieces for mandolin and accordion. Unmarred by New Age production, these field recordings present the real raw deal in its pristine state."
Dirty Linen (4-5/00, p.84) - "...the selections [are] well chosen and the fantastic music is very approachable. NORTHUMBERLAND RANT is one of the best traditional instrumental collections in recent memory."
Be The First To Write A Review
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings 40473
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.