CD Singing Through the Hard Times: A Utah Phillips Celebration (CD 4626376),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Singing Through the Hard Times: A Utah Phillips Celebration
0. DISC 1:
1. Singing Through the Hard Times - Dan Schatz/Magpie/Marcy Marxer/Emma's Revolution/Cathy Fink
2. Going Away - Cindy Kallet/Will Brown/Grey Larsen
3. Green Rolling Hills of West Virginia - Emmylou Harris/Mary Black
4. Dump the Bosses off Your Back - Si Kahn
5. All Used Up - John McCutcheon
6. Starlight on the Rails - Saul Broudy
7. All About Preachers - Lisa Null
8. She'll Never Be Mine - Jack Stanesco/Harry Tuft
9. Popular Wobbly, The - Larry Penn
10. Room for the Poor - Marcy Marxer/Cathy Fink
11. Reuben's Train - Rhonda and Sparky Rucker/Sparky
12. Paddy Welcome Back - Fast Rattler
13. Michael - Magpie
14. Telling Takes Me Home, The - Ed Trickett
15. Phoebe Snow - Captain Kendall Morse
16. If I Could Be the Rain - Faith Petric
17. Queen of the Rails - Dan Schatz
18. Kid's Liberation - Judy Cook
19. Or Else! (One-A These Days) - Pete Seeger
0. DISC 2:
1. Goodnight Loving Trail - Gordon Bok
2. Soldier's Return, The - Rosalie Sorrels
3. I Remember Loving You - Tom Paxton
4. Jesse's Corrido - Elizabeth Laprelle
5. Hood River, Roll On - Bruce Brackney
6. Old Buddy, Goodnight - Bodie Wagner/Dakota Dave Hull/Pop Wagner
7. Hallelujah! I'm a Bum - Mick Lane
8. Internationale, The - Ani DiFranco
9. Faded Roses of December, The - Kat Logan
10. Daddy, What's a Train? - Jay Peterson
11. Bill McCarran - Ray Bierl
12. He Comes Like Rain - Finest Kind
13. Look for Me in Butte - Mark Ross
14. Miner's Lullaby, The - Jacqui Morse
15. Larimer Street - Rik Palieri
16. Old George's Square - Jean Ritchie
17. Rock Salt and Nails - Taylor Whiteside
18. Hobo's Last Ride, The - Art Thieme
19. Singing in the Country - Caroline Paton
20. Hymn Song - Emma's Revolution
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 65
Dan Schatz; Jacqui Morse; James Stephens; Captain Kendall Morse; Dan Schatz; Jacqui Morse; Captain Kendall Morse
Chris Andersen; Michael Stribling; Dakota Dave Hull; Antero Puckay; Tom Rowe; David Paton; Wesley Easter; Lew London; Don Cunningham; Andrew Mitchell; Brian Hunter; Peter Engisch; Bruce Wheelock; Rich Grudzinsky; Jake Galbraith; James McVay; Marcy Marxer; Neil Young; Rob Gal; Sandy & Caroline Paton; Dave Rowe; Tony Marcus; Bruce Boege; John Dyer; Cathy Fink; Jud Caswell
Tributee: Utah Phillips.
Personnel: Cathy Fink (vocals, guitar, banjo); Dan Schatz (vocals, guitar, autoharp); Taylor Whiteside (vocals, guitar, fiddle, accordion); Saul Broudy (vocals, guitar, harmonica); Cindy Kallet, Jay Peterson, James "Sparky" Rucker, Ray Bierl, Ed Trickett, Emmylou Harris, Will Brown, Mick Lane, Mark Ross, Harry Tuft, Bruce Brackney, Larry Penn, Pat Humphries, Rosalie Sorrels, Art Thieme, Tom Paxton, Pop Wagner, Greg Artzner, Captain Kendall Morse (vocals, guitar); Gordon Bok (vocals, 12-string guitar); Rhonda Hicks Rucker, Pete Seeger, Rik Palieri (vocals, banjo); Ian Robb (vocals, concertina); Jacqui Morse, Bodie Wagner, Judy Cook, Julia Friend, Sandy O, Lisa Null, Ann Downey, Faith Petric, Shelley Posen, Caroline Paton, Dick Swain, Flawn Williams, Joe Hickerson, Jean Ritchie, Mary Black, Terry Leonino (vocals); Davy Spillane (whistling); Dakota Dave Hull (guitar, baritone guitar); Jack Stanesco (guitar, banjo); Peter Kessler, Marcy Marxer (guitar, mandolin); Tom Rowe, Ani DiFranco (guitar); David Bernz (12-string guitar); James McVay (lap steel guitar); Don Campbell (banjo); Russell Gores (mandolin, spoons); Lew London (mandolin); Bruce Boege (ukulele); Greg Boardman (violin); Allegra Ziffle, James Stephens, Grey Larsen, Jay Ungar, Aly Bain (fiddle); Chris Muse (harmonica); Julie Wolf (accordion); Jason Mercer (upright bass); Daren Hahn (drums); Jim Sutherland (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Charlie Pilzer.
Recording information: Arabica Studio, Minneapolis, MN; Bias Recording Company, Springfield, VA; Community Music, Kensington, MD; Eastwood Studio, Cana, VA; Flying Whale Studio, Cedar Ridge, CA; Ivy Creek Studios, Hickory, NC; Limin' Music, Northport, ME; Nevessa Production, Woodstock, NY; Pelicula Films, Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland; Surround In Sound Studio, Wauwatosa, WI; TellTale Studios, Portland, OR.
Authors: Mike Quirke; Thomas Wolfe ; Joe Louis Hill; Utah Phillips.
Photographer: Susan Alzner.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Judith Simpson; Carol Rohl; Bob Richardson; John Pineince; Jamie Huntsberger; Amy Fradon; Bill Huntington.
Arrangers: James "Sparky" Rucker; Ani DiFranco.
Issued in early 2009 on Ani DiFranco's Righteous Babe label, SINGING THROUGH THE HARD TIMES celebrates the life and music of beloved folk singer Utah Phillips. DiFranco, who championed Phillips late in his career and recorded with him, contributes "The Internationale (Instrumental)" to the two-disc collection, while Emmylou Harris and Mary Black team up for a stirring version of "Green Rolling Hills of West Virginia" and folk icon Pete Seeger performs "Or Else! (One-a These Days)."
Dirty Linen (p.52) - "Performances by lesser known artists, including Larry Penn, Rik Palieri, Saul Broudy, and Mark Ross demonstrate that, like the best folk tunes, it's the songs, and not the artists, that make this album shine."
Be The First To Write A Review
Righteous Babe Records 65
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright