CD Smoke That Cigarette: Pleasure to Burn [Digipak] (CD 6300199),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Smoke That Cigarette: Pleasure to Burn [Digipak]
1. I Can't Quit Cigarettes - Jimmy Martin
2. Cigarettes and Coffee Blues - Marty Robbins
3. Smoke Rings - Les Paul & Mary Ford
4. Another Puff - Jerry Reed
5. One Cup of Coffee and a Cigarette - Glen Glenn
6. Smoke from Your Cigarette - Lillian Leach & The Mellows
7. Dim Lights, Thick Smoke (And Loud, Loud Music) - Joe & Rose Lee Maphis
8. Smoking Woman in the Street - Reverend J.M. Gates
9. While a Cigarette Was Burning - Patti Page
10. Dad Blame Anything a Man Can't Quit - Roger Miller
11. Does Your Sweetheart Seem Different Lately - Autry Inman
12. Coffee and Cigarettes (Thinking It Over) - Johnnie Ray
13. Sad Cigarette - Slim Dusty
14. You're the Reason - Bobby Edwards
15. Nicotine Fits - Jimmy Dolan
16. Don't Smoke in Bed - Dave Barbour & His Orchestra/Peggy Lee
17. Smoke - Baker Knight
18. Three Cigarettes in an Ash Tray - Patsy Cline
19. My Last Cigarette - Paul Clayton
20. Are You Kissing More Now (But Enjoying It Less) - Homer & Jethro
21. Down to My Last Cigarette - Billy Walker
22. These Foolish Things - Frank Sinatra
23. Cigareetes, Whisky and Wild Women - The Sons of the Pioneers
24. Three on a Match - Bonnie Guitar
25. Caffeine and Nicotine - Curtis Gordon
26. What Cigarette Is Best - Wilf Carter
27. Smoke, the Bottle and the Wine, The - Bill Mack
28. Cigarette Milner - Tommy Collins
29. Twenty Cigarettes - Little Jimmy Dickens
30. Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) - Tex Williams & the Western Caravan
31. Dragnet Advertisement
32. Richard Diamond Advertisement
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): BCD 16800 AR
Liner Note Author: Hank Davis.
Illustrators: R.A. Andreas; Sven T. Uhrmann; Gary Le Gallant; Donn Filetti.
Photographers: R.A. Andreas; Sven T. Uhrmann; Gary Le Gallant; Donn Filetti.
Smoking cigarettes used to be as American as apple pie. Ah, but times change. Now smoking is akin to working a street corner in a dubious profession. Soon, one suspects, only musicians will light up -- and with public smoking bans in place everywhere, they'll have to do it in the back alley. But that won't be new. Musicians have been smoking in back alleys since time began, as this fun 32-track sampler of songs from Bear Family's vast back catalog makes clear. Cigarettes are rich in metaphor, standing in for romance, loneliness, restless nights, and frustration, among other things, in these songs. Things start off here with a giant cough that then spills over into Jimmy Martin's talking bluegrass take of "I Can't Quit Cigarettes" before proceeding through smoking songs of every style and genre, from the country wryness of Roger Miller's "Dad Blame Anything a Man Can't Quit" to the lush, sexy crooning of Peggy Lee's "Don't Smoke in Bed," Paul Clayton's folk narrative "My Last Cigarette," and Frank Sinatra's urbane "These Foolish Things." Times do change, and if the public attitude toward smoking and smokers has turned to the seamy, back-alley side of things, people -- particularly musicians -- are still going to do what they feel they need to do to pull themselves together. Life gets hard sometimes and sometimes you just have to lean on something. Marty Robbins sums it up best here in his "Cigarettes and Coffee Blues": "Wonderin' how our love went wrong/Wonderin' who's to blame/Listenin' while the jukebox/Plays a song that makes me blue/Another cup of coffee/And a cigarette or two." ~ Steve Leggett
Mojo (Publisher) (p.117) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "Romance and saucy metaphor abound."
Uncut (magazine) (p.91) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[Smoking] was a powerful symbol of love and betrayal no better illustrated than Patti Page's sultry 'Three Cigarettes In An Ashtray'."
Be The First To Write A Review
BCD 16800 AR
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.