CD The Bill Monroe Centennial Celebration: A Classic Bluegrass Tribute (CD 15767701),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
The Bill Monroe Centennial Celebration: A Classic Bluegrass Tribute
0. DISC 1:
1. Tall Timber - The Bluegrass Album Band
2. Will You Be Loving Another Man - The Grascals
3. Dark as the Night, Blue as the Day - Mike Cleveland - (featuring Dan Tyminski/Vince Gill)
4. Cheyenne - The Bluegrass Album Band
5. Close By - Dailey & Vincent
6. I Hear a Sweet Voice Calling - Joe Val & The New England Bluegrass Boys
7. Shenandoah Breakdown - Wyatt Rice
8. My Florida Sunshine - Claire Lynch
9. I'm Blue I'm Lonesome - The Nashville Bluegrass Band
10. Toy Heart - Ricky Skaggs
11. Wheel Hoss - The Bluegrass Album Band
12. On the Old Kentucky Shore - The Bluegrass Album Band
13. Come Back to Me in My Dreams - Frank Necessary & The Spruce Mountain Boys/Al Jones
14. Wicked Path of Sin - Blue Highway
0. DISC 2:
1. Old Brown County Barn - Michael Cleveland
2. You'd Better Get Right - Vern Williams Band
3. Voice from on High - Joe Val & The New England Bluegrass Boys
4. Lonesome Moonlight Waltz - The Bluegrass Album Band
5. Dog House Blues - The Nashville Bluegrass Band
6. Walls of Time - The Johnson Mountain Boys
7. Big Mon - Tony Rice
8. Footprints in the Snow - IIIrd Tyme Out
9. Jerusalem Ridge - Flamekeeper/Michael Cleveland
10. Mansions for Me - Bobby Osborne & The Rocky Top X-Press
11. In Despair - Ralph Stanley & the Clinch Mountain Boys - (featuring Charlie Sizemore)
12. You're Drifting Away - The Nashville Bluegrass Band
13. True Life Blues - Hazel & Alice
14. Goodbye Old Pal - Joe Val & The New England Bluegrass Boys
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 9123
Tributee: Bill Monroe.
Liner Note Author: Bill Nowlin.
Photographer: Carl Fleischhauer.
The Rounder compilation Bill Monroe Centennial Celebration: A Classic Bluegrass Tribute anticipates what might have been the 100th birthday of the father of bluegrass music (September 13, 2011) by delving into the label's archives for 28 songs credited to Monroe (even if, as Bill Nowlin points out in his excellent liner notes, those tunes were occasionally adapted from older sources or even purchased from other songwriters) and performed by a bevy of his descendents, including Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, and Dan Tyminski. The heavy lifting is actually performed by such multiple participants as the Bluegrass Album Band (with five selections), Michael Cleveland, and Joe Val & the New England Bluegrass Boys (with three each). Since Monroe is honored as the founder of bluegrass, those who play it are almost forced to copy him in the instrumentation of his band -- mandolin, fiddle, guitar, bass -- and in his high tenor vocals, and the artists here largely do that. When, for instance, a piano is heard on Skaggs' version of "Toy Heart," it's almost a shock, and the female vocals of Hazel & Alice on "True Life Blues" also constitute a novelty. But bluegrass is a virtuoso music, too, giving the instrumentalists leave to shine on their fast-paced solos, especially on the instrumentals, such as the lead-off track, the Bluegrass Album Band's "Tall Timber." And sometimes, there's actually a competition to replicate Monroe's high, lonesome vocal sound, as on "Dark as the Night, Blue as the Day," in which Cleveland, Tyminski, and Gill all take their turns. Nowlin estimates the number of Monroe's compositions at between 225 and 250, so this collection represents only a little over ten-percent of his output. Still, it's a good representation of his music as played by some of his most ardent followers. ~ William Ruhlmann
Be The First To Write A Review
Rounder Records 9123
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright