CD Best of Broadway [Rhino] (CD 528939),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Best of Broadway [Rhino]
1. Oklahoma!: Finale - Joan Roberts/Alfred Drake (from "Oklahoma!")
2. Guys & Dolls: Sue Me - Sam Levene/Vivian Blaine (from "Guys & Dolls")
3. On the Street Where You Live - John Michael King (from "My Fair Lady")
4. There's No Business Like Show Business (Finale) - John Raitt/Mary Martin/John Raitt & Chorus (from "Annie Get Your Gun")
5. Tonight - Larry Kert/Carol Lawrence (from "West Side Story")
6. Till There Was You - Robert Preston/Barbara Cook
7. Sound of Music, The - Mary Martin (from "The Sound Of Music")
8. Man of La Mancha: The Impossible Dream, The (The Quest) - Richard Kiley (from "Man Of La Mancha")
9. Sweet Charity: Big Spender - Helen Gallagher/Thelma Oliver (from "Sweet Charity")
10. Mame: Mame - Charles Braswell (from "Mame")
11. Jesus Christ Superstar: Superstar - Murray Head (from "Jesus Christ Superstar")
12. Godspell: Day by Day - Robin Lamont (from "Godspell")
13. Wiz: Ease on Down the Road, The - Hinton Battle/Stephanie Mills/Ted Ross/Tiger Haynes (from "The Wiz")
14. Chorus Line: One, A - A Chorus Line Company (from "A Chorus Line")
15. Annie: Tomorrow - Andrea McArdle
16. Evita: Don't Cry for Me Argentina - Patti LuPone (from "Evita")
17. Cats: Memory - Cynthia Onrubia/Betty Buckley/Cynthia Onrubia (from "Cats")
18. Strike up the Band - Tommy Tune (from "My One And Only")
19. Miserables: Bring Him Home, Les - Colm Wilkinson (from "Les Miserables")
20. Phantom of the Opera: The Music of the Night, The - Michael Crawford (from "The Phantom Of The Opera")
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 71885
Compilation producers: David McLees, Bill Inglot.
Includes liner notes by David J. Weiner.
Part of the proceeds from THE BEST OF BROADWAY will be donated to the Neil Bogart Memorial Fund for pediatric cancer, leukemia and AIDS research.
Liner Note Author: David J. Weiner.
Directors: Robert Billig; Irving Actman; Louis Adrian; Frederick Dvonch; Stanley Lebowsky; Franz Allers; Jay Blackton; Max Goberman; Peter Howard; Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Rhino's The Best of Broadway shouldn't necessarily be seen as a definitive overview of Broadway show tunes, which, after all, have a rich and varied history. Instead, it should be seen as an affordable, diverse, and, at 20 tracks, generous introduction to the glorious riches of the Great White Way. True, the featured tracks aren't necessarily the best possible versions of these songs and there are a few great songs that are inexplicably missing, but overall the collection provides curious listeners with a good one-stop introduction to the wonders of Broadway, especially since it features such classics as "On the Street Where You Live," "There's No Business Like Show Business," "Till There Was You," "The Sound of Music," "The Impossible Dream," "Mame," "Superstar," "Day by Day," "Ease on Down the Road," "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," "Memory," and "Music of the Night." ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Entertainment Weekly (4/21/95, p.57) - "...A ballad-heavy set that captures much of the melodic richness of Broadway....every one of these 20 numbers....are memorable..." - Rating: B+
Be The First To Write A Review
Rhino (Label) 71885
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright