Elberton, Georgia, chartered in 1803 and chosen as the seat of Elbert County, earned fame as the "Granite Capital of the World" with an industry that dates back to the late 19th century. Along with the pioneering residents who first settled the area and those who brought the community to the forefront of the granite industry, this engaging pictorial collection highlights the civic, business, and cultural leaders who have shaped and defined the character of the town.
Images of America: Elberton is filled with scenes of days gone by, revealing what life was like for early Elbertonians. Highlighted are such notable individuals as Samuel Elbert, an American Revolutionary War hero and the town and county's namesake; Thomas M. Swift, merchant, mill owner, and builder of the Swift Block on North McIntosh Street; Dr. Nathaniel G. Long, medical practitioner, politician, and business entrepreneur who established the first telephone system in the city; and Edmund Brewer Tate Jr., civic and business leader who encouraged construction of the present county courthouse. Local businesses, homes, institutions, and landmarks are included as well, such as the extant Queen Anne house built by W.C. Smith on Heard Street in the late 19th century, Reuben H. Hunt's Richardsonian Romanesque courthouse of 1894-1895, and the Samuel Elbert Hotel of 1924-1925. Coupled with informative captions, these vintage photographs tell the story that is uniquely Elberton.