CD Don Letts Presents: Dread Meets Greensleeves (CD 1310669),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Don Letts Presents: Dread Meets Greensleeves
0. DISC 1:
1. War - Wailing Souls
2. Wa-Do-Dem - Eek-A-Mouse
3. Mary Long Tongue - Barrington Levy
4. River Jordan - Ranking Joe
5. She Loves Me Now - Beres Hammond
6. How the West Was Won - Toyan
7. Fally Ranking - Johnny Osbourne
8. Bone Connection - Nicodemus
9. Love Tickles Like Magic - Junior Delgado
10. Diseases - Frankie Paul/General Smiley/Michigan & Smiley/Papa Michigan
11. Poor and Humble - Wayne Wade
12. None of Jah Jah Children No Cry - Ras Michael & the Sons of Negus
13. Let's Get Started - Tetrack
14. Where Is Jah? - Reggae Regulars
15. King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown - Augustus Pablo
0. DISC 2:
1. Pirates Anthem - Cocoa Tea/Home T/Shabba Ranks/Wayne Smith/Home T
2. Pass the Tu-Sheng-Peng - Frankie Paul
3. Under Me Sleng Teng - Wayne Smith
4. Mind Yu Dis - Gregory Isaacs
5. Oh Carolina - Shaggy
6. Twice My Age - Krystal/Shabba Ranks
7. Heads High - Mr. Vegas (Kill 'Em With It Re-Mix)
8. Who Am I - Beenie Man
9. Rumours - Gregory Isaacs
10. Under Me Sensi - Hollow Point/Alozade/Mr. Vegas/Beenie Man
11. Ruba Dub Wi Want - Shaggy - (featuring Mr. Vegas)
12. Elephant Message - Elephant Man
13. No Letting Go - Wayne Wonder
14. Sufferer - Bounty Killer
15. Love Is Divine - Sizzla
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 111316
Heenry 'Junjo' Lawes; Donald "Danny Champagne" Grant; Danny Browne; Bobby "Digital" Dixon; Jeremy Harding; Linval Thompson; Robert Livingston; Sting International; Augustus Clarke; Augustus Pablo; Tommy Cowan; Steven "Lenky" Marsden
Liner Note Author: Don Letts.
Photographers: Piers MacDonald; Don V; Jeremy Benning; Rocco Redondo.
He may be a filmmaker -- music videos along with documentaries on reggae music plus the Clash -- and a musician -- a member of the original Big Audio Dynamite plus collaborations with Keith Levene and Jah Wobble -- but dreadlocked Englishman Don Letts is also a wonderful advocate and selector of Jamaican music. All killer and no filler, this two-CD compilation for the Greensleeves label is more proof. Expanding upon his 2002 comp Dread Meets Punk Rockers Uptown while performing the same function as his 2003 Trojan set The Mighty Trojan Sound, Dread Meets Greensleeves dives into the Greensleeves label's vault and resurfaces with important numbers, big hits, and lost classics. Massive tracks like Eek-A-Mouse's "We-Do-Dem" and Wayne Smith's "Under Me Sleng Ten" sit next to lesser known gems like the wet and dubby "Love Tickles Like Magic" from Junior Delgado or the soulful "Let's Get Started" from forgotten Junior Murvin-soundalike Te Track. What separates this release from the aforementioned comps is how late in the game Letts goes with Shaggy's "Oh Carolina," Beenie Man's "Who Am I," and Wayne Wonder's "No Letting Go" representing recent hits. It's not mixed together and sadly there are no voice-overs from the effervescent Letts, but he did write the fascinating liner notes which tell the story of how reggae became big in the U.K. starting with the punks, plus how Sex Pistol Johnny Rotten helped raise awareness of Dr. Alimantado's classic album Best Dressed Chicken in Town. ~ David Jeffries
Record Collector (magazine) (p.94) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "The all-star cast includes Shaggy, Johnny Osbourne, Gregory Isaacs and a contender for the best-dub-record-ever award, Augustus Pablo's towering KING TUBBY MEETS THE ROCKERS..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Greensleeves Records 111316
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.