CD Best of Scottish Fiddle (CD 1155348),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Best of Scottish Fiddle
1. Buzzard, The - Old Blind Dogs/Jonny Hardie
2. The Auld Wheel Set: The Auld Wheel / Lads of Laois / Hey Ho Bonnie Lass / Twisted Fingers - Ross Kennedy/Archie Mcallister
3. Hills of Glenorchy, The - Jonny Hardie/Gavin Marwick/Davy Cattanach
4. The Heather Ale Set: The Heather Ale Jig / Colin Camerons / The Eavesdropper / Donald MacKillop - Jerry Holland/JCB/Archie Mcallister
5. Sleeping Warrior, The - Iron Horse/Gavin Marwick
6. The Gathering Storms / The Lowland Of Scotland / Feadan Glan A'Phiobair - Ross Kennedy/Archie Mcallister
7. The Quiet Man / The Solstice / The Silver Spire - Jonny Hardie/Gavin Marwick
8. The Emigrant / The West End Reel / The Clover Field - Iron Horse/Gavin Marwick
9. The MacNeills Of Ugadale / Jig Brest St. Marc / Lads Of Tain / Mrs. MacInroy Of Lude - Jonny Hardie/Gavin Marwick/Davy Cattanach
10. Fledgling, The - Hudson Swan
11. Lady In a Bottle / The Drops Of Brandy / Ewan Mackenzie's Free Bass Accordion / The Curlew - Alistair McCulloch/Coila/Andrew McGarva/William Weir
12. Margaret Cromar - Old Blind Dogs/Jonny Hardie
13. The Doctors Reel / The Spinning Wheel / Sullivan's / Johnny Lad / The Jura Music Festival Reel - Ross Kennedy/Archie Mcallister
14. Herr Roloff's Farewell - Coila/Andrew McGarva/William Weir/Alistair McCullough
15. Rob Roy MacGregor / Prince Charles / Charles Sutherland - Jonny Hardie/Gavin Marwick/Davy Cattanach
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): EUCD-2098
Personnel: Brian McAlpine (vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, accordion, keyboards, bass guitar); Buzzby McMillan (vocals, cittern, whistle); Annie Grace (vocals, whistle, pipes, small pipes); Lynn Morrison (vocals, piano); Rod Paul (guitar, banjo, mandola, mandolin); Stevie Lawrence (guitar, bouzouki, percussion); Charlie Harrigan, Ian F. Benzie (guitar); Dave Cowan (electric guitar, bass guitar); Ross Kennedy (banjo, bouzouki); Eamon Coyne (banjo); Aaron Jones (bouzouki); Jonny Hardie (mandolin); Andrew McGarva (fiddle, viola, synthesizer); Hudson Swan (fiddle); Alistair McCullough (whistle); Fred Morrison (small pipes); Davy MacDonald, Leo McCann, William Weir (accordion); Donald Shaw, Andy Thorburn (piano, keyboards); Judy Dunsmore, Sheumas MacNeil (piano); Stuart Glasgow (keyboards); Lee Agnew (drums, percussion); Leon Cave, James Taylor (drums); Marc Duff (bodhran); Elise McLellan.
Additional personnel: Davy Cattanach (vocals, guitar).
The album title might be a bit of hype -- a better name would be the "best-of Scottish fiddle that we have in our catalog" -- but there's plenty of quality in the music. There's plenty from Jonny Hardie, both as part of a trio and duo and with Old Blind Dogs, who's quite sterling on a variety of styles ("The Buzzard" is a standout). JCB pull out a set of jigs where fiddle and banjo duel, while Coila offer a gorgeous and unusual air with "Herr Roloff's Farewell," which adds a string quartet to bring a very different sound to Scottish music. In other words, there are several facets of Scots music represented, be it traditional or original compositions. In fact, it's hard to tell the difference, which is testament to the capabilities of the players. The Hudson Swan Band do wonderful things with "The Fledgling" but the star has to be Hardie, who's on six of the 15 tracks here. It's stirring, melodic stuff, with plenty of excellent playing, and it never disappoints. It's good enough to make your forget the title is hype. ~ Chris Nickson
Dirty Linen (p.74) - "JCB, with Jerry Holland and Archie McAllister, offers a medley of tunes that join old Scotland with Nova Scotia."
Be The First To Write A Review
Arc Music Productions EUCD-2098
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.