CD Cape Breton Fiddle and Piano Music (CD 599571),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Cape Breton Fiddle and Piano Music
The Beaton Family
1. Thomas MacDonnell's Strathspey / My Great Friend John Morris Rankin / Maire O'Keefe Reel / Francis Beaton's Reel
2. Quickstep / Gordon's Trip To Sydney / The Garden Wall
3. Bandelena March / Ben Lomond Stathspey / Gabe Arsenault's Reel / Eoghan Dhu Reel / Tullamore Piper Hornpipe
4. Mary Ann MacDougall's / Yester House Strathspey / MacKinnon's Other Rant / Beaton's Delight Reel / Joey Beaton's Reel / Tamarack'er Down
5. The Haughs Of Cromdale / Johnny Sullivan / Malcolm Finlay's Reel / White Lightning
6. Sandy Macintyre's March / Because He Was A Bonnie Lad / Editor's Favourite Strathspey / Willy MacKenzie's Reel / Joan Beaton's Reel / Sandy MacInnis Reel
7. Glenn Graham's Jig / Teviot Bridge / Piper's Jig
8. Coilsfield House / Farewell Friend / Fraser's Jig
9. The Brig O'Balater Strathspey / Fife Hunt Reel / Traditional Reel / Mrs. Ronald MacDonald's
10. Do'igean Bachd / The Night The Goats Came Home / Carl Beaton's Reel / Michael Rankin's Reel
11. A Joan Boes Tune / Erchless Castle / Donald Angus Beaton's Strathspey / General Stewart Of Garth Strathspey / The Grey Old Lady Of Raasay / The Men Of The Deeps
12. The Maidsoflslay / Lucy Campbell / Elizabeth's Big Coat / Old Time Wedding Reel #1 / MacKinnon's Other Rant / Old Time Wedding Reel #2
13. Back Of The Change House Strathspey / The Beaton Family Recording Strathspey / Todd Graham's / Port St. Lucie / Totar's Hornpipe / The Stone Frigate
14. Andrea Beaton's / The Laird O' Thurms Strathspey / Hoch Hey Johnny Lad / Sir Reginald MacDonald / Traditional Laddie
15. Lady Dorthea Stewart Murray / The Glasgow Gaelic Club / Burt Feintuch
16. Stumpie / Duke Of Gordon Strathspey / West Mabou Reel / Joys Of Mabou Mines Reels / Anna Mae's Reel
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 40507
The Beaton Family Of Mabou includes: Andrea Beaton, Kinnon Beaton (fiddle); Betty Beaton (piano).
Recorded at Soundpark Studios, St. Peter's, Nova Scotia.
The music of Cape Breton in Canada has enjoyed wide visibility and respect in recent years, and justifiably so. Although the Beaton Family of Mabou, a small community on the island, had released an album before (in 1978), covering two generations of players, this ranges wider in the extended family, but offers the same drive to the music. Like most music from the island, it's heavily Scots-inflected, even when the tunes are originals, and played with a particular drive (just listen to Andrea Beaton's fiddling on "Bandelena March," with feet pushing down on the beat to emphasize it). This is music for dancing, even on the occasional slower number, and the stepdancing of Allison Beaton fills out pieces like "The Brig O'Balater Strathspey" and adds a lovely rhythmic complexity to the music. This might be family playing, but it's a rare and very accomplished family, from matriarch Elizabeth Beaton (who appears on a few cuts, having lost none of her power, although in her eighties) to the younger generation. Most interesting is the "breather" cut featuring just Betty Lou Beaton's piano, showing wonderful tone and sympathy on Nathaniel Gow's "Coilsfield House." Satisfying on every level, this is an absolute gem of a disc. ~ Chris Nickson
Be The First To Write A Review
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings SFWCD 40507
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.