CD Classic Old-Time Music (CD 600521),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Classic Old-Time Music
1. Sugar Hill - Iron Mountain String Band
2. Bill Morgan and His Gal - The New Lost City Ramblers
3. Country Blues - Dock Boggs
4. Little Sadie - Clarence Ashley
5. Susannah Gal - Frank Bode/Tommy Jarrell/Frank Bode & Tommy Jarrell
6. Wednesday Night Waltz - Clark Kessinger
7. Cyclone of Rye Cove - The New Lost City Ramblers
8. I'm Leaving You This Lonesome Song - Al Carters
9. Carroll County Blues - Doc Watson
10. Don't Let Your Deal Go Down - Kirk McGee/Sam McGee/Arthur Smith/Sam & Kirk McGee
11. Trouble in Mind - Roscoe Holcomb
12. Chilly Winds - Wade Ward
13. Going Down the Road Feeling Bad - David/Bill
14. Pretty Polly - Lee Sexton
15. Bonaparte's Retreat - Mike Seeger
16. Concord Rag - J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers
17. John Henry - George Pegram
18. Bowling Green - Cousin Emmy/The New Lost City Ramblers
19. Fine Times at Our House - John W. Summers
20. Streets of Glory - Old Reliable String Band
21. Policeman - Spare Change Boys
22. Love Somebody (Soldier's Joy) - Joe & Tommy Thompson
23. House of David Blues - Al McCanless/The Red Clay Ramblers/Red Clay Rlambers
24. Ship in the Clouds - Andy Cahan
25. Late Last Night - Kirk McGee
26. Look Down That Lonesome Road - Gaither Carlton
27. Down Yonder - Gid Tanner & His Skillet Lickers
28. Jaybird March - Cora Phillips/Etta Baker
29. John Brown's Dream - The New Lost City Ramblers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 40093
Jeff Place (Compilation)
Personnel: John Cohen, Sam McGee, Tom Paley (vocals, guitar, banjo); Tracy Schwarz (vocals, guitar, fiddle); Frank Bode, Artie Rose, Jim Watson, Mother Maybelle Carter, Sara Carter (vocals, guitar); Clarence Ashley, Cousin Emmy, Dock Boggs, George Pegram, Eric Davidson, Lee Sexton, Roscoe Holcomb (vocals, banjo); Mike Seeger (vocals, autoharp, mandolin, fiddle); Gaither Carlton, Hank Bradley, David Johnson (vocals, fiddle); Cora Phillips, Doc Watson, Gene Meade, Eric Thompson (guitar); Etta Baker, Kirk McGee, Andy Cahan, Wade Ward, Walt Koken (banjo); Clark Kessinger, Joe & Odell Thompson, Caleb Finch, Fred Price, Gordon Tanner, Lisa Ornstein, J.E. Mainer, Al McCanless, Jody Stecher, John Summers, Tommy Jarrell (fiddle).
Recording information: 1958-1984.
Editor: Jacob Love.
Unknown Contributor Role: J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers.
Arranger: Doc Watson.
The songs featured on Smithsonian/Folkways' Classic Old-Time Music were mostly recorded in the late '50s and early '60s (with a few scattered throughout the '70s) and celebrate many of the performers who not only toured the festival circuits at that time, but many who sowed the seeds of the entire folk revival. Old-timey legends like Dock Boggs, Roscoe Holcomb, Doc Watson, Wade Ward, and a segment of the Carter Family all make prominent appearances, but the real uncut gems come from lesser-known folkies like the Iron Mountain String Band, J.E. Mainer's Moutaineers, Sam & Kirk McGee, and Lee Sexton, whose version of "Pretty Polly" may be among the most spine-tingling on record. The later recordings by the New Lost City Ramblers, the Spare Change Boys, and a trio of college students performing "Ship in the Clouds" unfortunately feel a little too studied and reserved, and certainly not as natural as the performers who lived and breathed the music as a part of their daily lives, but their inclusion proves that the music is still alive today. Excellent liner notes are a hallmark of Smithsonian/Folkways recordings, and Classic Old-Time Music continues that tradition, providing a fascinating history behind each song and performer, ensuring hours of listening and re-listening pleasure. ~ Zac Johnson
Mojo (Publisher) (8/03, p.116) - 3 out of 5 stars - "...The jumble of performers makes for more diversity and, hence, entertaining listening than diving right into a single-artist old-time album would."
Be The First To Write A Review
Smithsonian Folkways Recordings 40093
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.