CD Further Down the Old Plank Road: The Nashville Sessions  (CD 1067305),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Further Down the Old Plank Road: The Nashville Sessions 
1. Raggle Taggle Gypsy - (featuring Nickel Creek)
2. Jordan Is Hard Road to Travel - (featuring John Hiatt)
3. Hick's Farewell - (featuring Allison Moorer)
4. Shady Grove - (featuring Tim O'Brien)
5. Girl I Left Behind, The - (featuring John Prine)
6. Rosc Catha Na Mumhan / Arkansas Traveler / The Wild Irishman - (featuring Jerry Douglas)
7. Lambs in the Greenfield - (featuring Emmylou Harris)
8. Moonshiner / I'm A Rambler - (featuring Joe Ely)
9. Wild Mountain Thyme - (featuring Don Williams)
10. Chief O'Neill's Hornpipe - (featuring Chet Atkins)
11. Bandit Of Love / The Cheating Waltz - (featuring Carlene Carter)
12. Squid Jiggin' Ground / Larry O'Gaff - (featuring The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band)
13. Three Little Babes - (featuring Patty Loveless)
14. The Fisherman's Hornpipe / The Devil's Dream - (featuring Doc Watson)
15. Talk About Suffering / Man Of The House - (featuring Ricky Skaggs)
16. Lily of the West, The
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 52897
The Chieftains: Kevin Conneff (vocals, bodhran); Matt Molloy (flute); Paddy Moloney (tin whistle, Uillean pipes); Sean Keane (fiddle); Derek Bell (harp, keyboards, tiompan).
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band: Jeff Hanna (vocals, guitar); Jimmy Ibbotson (guitar); Jerry Douglas (resophonic guitar); Bela Fleck (banjo); Jimmie Fadden (harmonica, drums); Edgar Meyer (bass).
Additional personnel includes: John Hiatt (vocals, guitar); Tim O'Brien, Christopher Thile (vocals, mandolin); Nickel Creek, Sara Watkins (vocals, fiddle); Allison Moorer, Patty Loveless, Rosanne Cash, Ricky Skaggs (vocals); Jeff White (acoustic guitar, mandolin); John Leventhal (acoustic guitar); Chet Atkins, Doc Watson, Merle Watson (guitar); Stuart Duncan (fiddle); Caroline Lavelle (cello); Martin O'Connor (accordion); Matt Rollings (piano); Glenn Worf (upright bass); Kenny Malone, Shannon Forrest (drums); Caroline Goodgold, Deborah Lyons, Margaret Dorn, Teddy Thompson (background vocals).
Includes liner notes by Robert K. Oermann.
The successor to the phenomenally successful DOWN THE OLD PLANK ROAD, this mixed-bag collection of folk perennials and newer material features the same cast as the former album in much of the same folk-meets-country setting. A welcome result of the hugely successful O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? movie soundtrack, this pair of albums brought together the Chieftains and a plethora of country artists in a meeting of old and new worlds, a physical manifestation of the cultural cross-pollination that has been ongoing between Europe and America for centuries.
Here, as on the former album, old-timers such as Doc Watson, Don Williams, John Prine, and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band share equal time with such comparative newcomers as Allison Moorer and Patty Loveless, whose reading of "Three Little Babes" is a highlight. Sadly, FURTHER DOWN THE OLD PLANK ROAD features what was to be the last performance of Chieftains member Derek Bell, who died shortly after the album was completed.
Dirty Linen (4/04, p.53) - "[T]his one was well worth it, and provides interesting and challenging listening."
Be The First To Write A Review
RCA Victor 52897
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright