CD In Good Company [Kevin Crawford] (CD 263146),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
In Good Company [Kevin Crawford]
1. Tommy Peoples / The Long Drop / Callaghan's
2. Young Tom Ennis / The Mouse In The Mug
3. Tae The Beggin' / Alice's Reel
4. Coilsfield House - (Slow Air)
5. The Bag Of Spuds / Matt Peoples
6. Strike The Gay Harp / Jim O'Connor's
7. Jimmy O'Reilly's / Doonagore / The Bellharbour Reel
8. Sliabh Geal Gcua - (Slow Air)
9. The First Pint / The Flying Wheelchair / The Humours Of Derrycrossane
10. John Carty's / The Stolen Reel / Feeding The Birds
11. The Rolling Waves / Finbar Dwyer's Favorite
12. The Banks Of The Suir / Mama's Pet - (Air And Reel)
13. The High Road To Glin / The Hard Road To Travel / Paddy Fahy's
14. Brian O'Lynn / Cailleach A Shusa
15. Tommy's Mazurkas - (Mazurkas)
16. Farewell To Jim / That's More Of It
17. Ashmolean House / The Kilcloon / Out On The Road
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1211
Ed Kenehan; Seamus Cullinane
Personnel includes: Kevin Crawford (flute, whistle); Arty McGlynn (guitar); Mick Conneely (bouzouki, fiddle); Martin Hayes (viola); Sean Smyth, James Cullinan, Frankie Gavin, Tony Linnane, Tommy Peoples, Manus McQuire, Conor Tully (fiddle); Carl Hession (keyboards); Jim Higgins (bodhran).
Principally recorded at Harmony Row Studios, Ennis, Colorado between April and June 2000. Includes liner notes by Earle Hitchner.
Kevin Crawford is one of the most gifted flutists currently playing traditional Irish music; his work as a member of Moving Cloud and, currently, with Lunasa has garnered him praise from critics on both sides of the Atlantic, and his debut solo album was, if anything, even better than his ensemble recordings. For his sophomore effort he elected to create a program of fiddle and flute duets with fiddlers he particularly admires, and the resulting lineup is very impressive: old-school legends like Tommy Peoples and Frankie Gavin as well as young masters like Sean Smyth (Crawford's colleague from Lunasa) and the exquisitely tasteful Martin Hayes are included. Crawford and his cohorts are accompanied by guitarist Arty McGlynn, keyboardist Carl Hession, and, occasionally, bodhran player Jim Higgins. The music simply couldn't be any better: On "Tae the Beggin'" Crawford and Gavin prance virtuosically atop Hession's sprightly piano; the slow air "Sliabh Geal gCua" features stately and understated fiddling by Moving Cloud's Manus McGuire; and on a charming reel set consisting of "The Bag of Spuds" and "Matt Peoples," Hayes makes a powerful case for the viola as a Celtic instrument. In an interesting departure, Crawford plays another slow air with chamber orchestra accompaniment. A spectacular album from a young virtuoso whose best work may yet be ahead of him. ~ Rick Anderson
Be The First To Write A Review
Green Linnet 1211
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.