CD Red Hot PLUS Rio 2 [Digipak] (CD 7048872),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Red Hot PLUS Rio 2 [Digipak]
0. DISC 1:
1. Baby - Alice Smith/Aloe Blacc
2. Tropiclia [Mario C. 2011 Remix] - Beck (remix)
3. Um Girassol DaCor Do Seu Cabelo - Jos Gonzlez
4. Samba De Verao
5. Boa Reza - Seu Jorge/Vanessa da Mata
6. Love I've Never Known
7. Nescimento [Rebirth] - Scene II - Clara Moreno/Aloe Blacc
8. Ela [Ticklah Remix] - (remix)
9. Baby [Old Dirty Baby Dub Version] - Aloe Blacc
10. Canto De Afox Para O Bloco Do Il, Um - Superhuman Happiness
12. Aquele Abrao - Forro in the Dark/Anglique Kidjo/Brazilian Girls
13. Canto De Iemanj
14. Terra [Perfuse 73 "3 Mellotrons In a Quiet Room" Version] - (remix)
15. N Com A Minha Msica - Devendra Banhart/Marisa Monte
16. Acabou Chorare
17. Dreamworld - David Byrne/Caetano Veloso
0. DISC 2:
1. O Leaozinho - Beirut
2. Panis Et Circensis
3. Bat Macumba - Os Mutantes
4. Tudo O Que Voc Podia Ser - Marcos Valle
5. Banana - Madlib - (featuring Generation Match)
6. Freak Le Boom Boom
7. Tropical Affair - Joao Parahyba/Money Mark
8. Soy Loco Por Ti, Amrica - Carlinhos Brown
9. Roda - Emicida
10. Berimbau - Trio Mocot
11. It's a Long Way - Apollo Nove/CU
12. A Cidade - Fred 04/Isaar/Otto/Eugene Htz
13. Ogod, Ano 2000 - Tom Z
14. Aguas De Maro - Toshiyuki Yasuda/Atom - (featuring Fernanda Takai/Moreno Veloso)
15. Show Me Love
16. Pistis Sophia
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): EOMCD5137
Paul Heck; Beco Dranoff; John Carlin; Mario Caldato, Jr.; Andres Levin; Kassin; Om'Mas Keith
Red Hot + Rio 2 follows a full 15 years after its predecessor, and 21 after the Red Hot Organization initiated its series of AIDS research-funding compilations with the million-selling Red Hot + Blue. Rather than concentrating on the nation's standards and contributions to world pop, this second volume in Red Hot + Rio focuses instead on the songs of the Tropicalia movement of the late 1960s and '70s, where Brazilian bossa, samba, forro, and other musics were wedded to innovations in international pop, rock, soul, and even funk. While many of its songs -- and some of its artists (on either end of the historical spectrum) -- may not be as canonical as those found on its predecessor, but as a musical document, this is a far more interesting listening exercise. One of the founding fathers of Tropicalia, Caetano Veloso (who is all over this thing) and David Byrne appear on the co-written "Dreamworld: Marco de Canvases," with backing by Carlinhos Brown, Melvin Gibbs, Erik Friedlander, Mark Feldman, and others is as provocative as it is a seemingly natural pairing. Likewise, Alice Smith and Aloe Blacc on Veloso's "Baby," is as natural as his union with Clara Moreno on "Nascimento (Rebirth II)." The knock-out psych jam between Os Mutantes and Of Montreal on "Bat Macumba," and Mia Doi Todd's on "Canto de Iemanj," are clear highlights of each disc. John Legend's "Dreams of Love" is a straight-up samba, albeit a slick, soulful one, where the collabo between Marisa Monte, Devendra Banhart, and Rodrigo Amarante on Veloso's "Nu Com a Minha Musica" is a sheer delight. Javelin collaborates with Tom Z on the latter's acid-drenched "Ogodo and 2000." Gilberto Gil's "Aquele Abrao" is one of the wildest, futuristic, and beat-driven works here; its reading combines the talents of Forr in the Dark, Brazilian Girls, and Anglique Kidjo and highlights the African/Brazilian connection. Likewise, Prefuse 73 and Veloso work together on his "Terra" for a bit of real mind stretching. Speaking of beats, Joyce Moreno's "Banana" is performed by her with Madlib and members of Build an Ark. The 33 cuts on this sprawling collection offer so many fine and unusual moments, Red Hot + Rio 2 is every bit as unique and groundbreaking, puzzling and dazzling, as its predecessor; only more so. ~ Thom Jurek
Rolling Stone (p.74) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]his one jumps off the politicized, avant-rock Tropicalia movement of the Sixties and Seventies."
Pitchfork (Website) - "David Byrne and Caetano Veloso sound great dueting on 'Dreamland/Marco De Canaveses', backed by spooky synths and strings."
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.