CD Steam [John Williams (Irish)] (CD 262718),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Steam [John Williams (Irish)]
John Williams (Irish)
1. New Custom House/Le Set de Americain/Harris Dance Tune Reels, The - (Reels)
2. John Brady's/The Hawk from Dundalk - (Jigs)
3. Paddy Canny's Toast/Paddy Fahy's - (Slow Reels)
4. Miss Hamilton - (18th Century Harp Music)
5. Humours of Kilclogher/Mrs. O'Sullivan's, The - (Jigs)
6. Tuamgrainey Castle/The Peterswell Hornpipe (Hornpipes) - (Hornpipes)
7. Up in the Garret/The Old Tippeary - (Slip Jig & Double Jig)
8. Seo Uile Thoil/The Deer's March - (Ancient Gaelic Lullaby & March)
9. Bill Harte's Rolling Down the Hill/John Brady's Reels - (Reels)
10. Bridal Jig/The Handsome Young Maidens/The Lancers Jig, The - (Jigs)
11. Billy Brocker's/The Old Dudeen/The Night We Had the Goats - (Reels)
12. Johnny O'Leary's and Patrick Maloney's Favorite - (Jigs)
13. Within a Mile of Dublin/Seany Dorris' Reel/P.J.'s Pecurious Pachelbel - (Reels)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1215
Personnel: John Williams (flute, tin whistle, button accordion, concertina);
Dennis Cahil, Randal Bays, Dean Magraw, John Doyle, Jim DeWan (guitar); Seamus Egan (banjo); Paul Donnely (bodhran); Liz Carroll (fiddle); Larry Gray (cello, bass); Paul Wertico (percussion).
Recorded at Dr. Craw Studios, Northbrook, Illinois.
Personnel: John Williams (flute, tin whistle, concertina, bodhran); Randal Bays, Dean Magraw, Dennis Cahill, Jim DeWan, John Doyle (guitar); Liz Carroll (fiddle); Larry Gray (cello); Paul Donnelly (bodhran); Paul Wertico (percussion).
Audio Mixer: John Williams .
Liner Note Author: Michael O'Suilleabhain.
Recording information: Dr. Craw Studios, Northbrook, IL.
Arranger: John Williams .
Concertina player John Williams hails from Chicago, but comes from a long line of Irish musicians with roots in County Clare; he has won five all-Ireland titles and was the first American-born musician to take first place in the senior concertina category. On his second solo album, he's joined by local fiddler Liz Carroll, guitarists Dennis Cahill, Randall Bays, and Dean Magraw, bassist Larry Gray, percussionist Paul Wertico, and his colleagues from Solas, Seamus Egan and John Doyle, for a set of traditional tunes played with equally high levels of energy and skill. Williams himself spends most of his time on concertina, but also plays button accordion, flute, whistles, and bodhran, and sometimes more than one at once, as on the multi-tracked slow reel set "Paddy Canny's Toast & Paddy Faheys." Elsewhere, the arrangements are more minimal: The jigs "Up in the Garret" and "The Old Tipperary" are bare-bones concertina and guitar (and beautiful in that setting), while the reels "Billy Brocker's," "The Old Dudeen," and "The Night We Had the Goats" feature Williams on whistles, Paul Donnelly on bodhran, and an unidentified drone; the result is vaguely eerie. This is a complex and lovely album. ~ Rick Anderson
Be The First To Write A Review
Green Linnet GLCD 1215
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright