CD The Essential Guide to World Music (CD 976005),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
The Essential Guide to World Music
1. Bebele - Sally Nyolo
2. Oualahila Ar Tesinam - Tinariwen
3. Ralit, La
4. Click Song (2003) - Miriam Makeba
6. Tijaniyya - Youssou N'Dour
7. Moussolou - Salif Keita
8. N E P A (Never Expect Power Always) - Tony Allen
9. Er Mla Mla/Mtch Nw - Mahmoud Ahmed
12. Siligugu Isiphambano - Ladysmith Black Mambazo
0. DISC 2:
1. Manha de Carnaval (Morning of the Carnival)
2. Mulata - Inti-Illimani
3. Tili Bugudura - Aurelio Martnez
4. Aguas de Maro - Elis Regina/Antonio Carlos Jobim
5. Ultima Noche, La - Omara Portuondo
6. Mi Bomba Son - Celia Cruz
7. Aminata - Africando/Laba Sosseh
8. Banda, La - Spanish Harlem Orchestra
9. Carolina - Seu Jorge
10. Close Your Eyes - Bebel Gilberto (Faze Action Remix)
11. Sugar Daddy - (Don Candiani's Mix)
12. Afiches - Dyango/Juanjo Domnguez
0. DISC 3:
1. Martyrs (Psalm)
2. Kabhi Kabhie Mere Dil Mein - Lata Mangeshkar/Mukesh
3. Ana Fezaani (I Feel So Afraid) - Fairuz
4. Africa - Danny Thompson/Ketama/Toumani Diabat
5. Yerbagena (Oriente) - Pepe Habichuela
6. Mazhai Thuli - A.R. Rahman
7. Ghoom Charakhana - Najma Akhtar (Talvin Singh Future Sound of India Mix)
8. Alif Allah Chambe Dee Booti - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
9. H Mandu - Mouth Music (Mother Mix)
10. Rememorix - (Memoriar Perdidas Remix)
11. Noches en Vela, Pt.2 - Nitin Sawhney
12. Tribbiera, A - Petru Guelfucci
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 306
Mario Caldato, Jr.; Seu Jorge
Personnel: Marina Abad (vocals); Nitin Sawhney (keyboards, programming); Dean James (programming); Maxwell Wright, Ramon Gimnez (palmas).
Audio Mixer: Dean James.
Liner Note Author: Iain Scott.
Arranger: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
Even with three CDs and a little more than three hours of music, this anthology couldn't claim to be an "essential" guide to world music. No compilation could -- it's too big a territory to cover. However, if you approach this as an extensive sampler of a good deal of world music rather than a definitive overview, it does a good enough job of offering a lot of quality material. Each disc covers a specific category, the first CD being dedicated to African performers; the second to South American artists; and the third, less rigidly defined one, titled "When East Meets West," spotlighting tracks that merge different world music styles. A good number of the artists here have high international profiles (Miriam Makeba, Youssou N'Dour, Salif Keita, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Inti-Illimani, Luiz Bonf, Celia Cruz, Toumani Diabat, A.R. Rahman, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Mouth Music), yet at least as many will be unfamiliar to your average Western world music appreciator. These aren't necessarily the best tracks by these artists, but the package does succeed at putting together a lot of subtle varieties of sounds that fall within the "world music" category, from Afro-beat (Fela drummer Tony Allen) and a cappella singing (Ladysmith Black Mambazo) to bossa nova, tango, salsa, polyphonic chanting, and Bollywood. Such is its eclectic spread, however, that it's perhaps best appreciated by go-with-the-flow consumers who are adventurous listeners but casual collectors. ~ Richie Unterberger
Be The First To Write A Review
Union Square Music 306
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright