CD The Music of Kentucky: Early American Rural Classics 1927-1937, Vol. 1-2 (CD 170395),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
The Music of Kentucky: Early American Rural Classics 1927-1937, Vol. 1-2
1. Called to the Foreign Field - Alfred G. Karnes
2. Pretty Polly - B.F. Shelton
3. Ways of the World, The - W.H. Stepp
4. Unfortunate Brakeman, The - Kentucky Ramblers
5. I Want to Go Where Jesus Is - Ernest Phipps & His Holiness Quartet
6. L and N Rag
7. I Am Bound for the Promised Land - Alfred G. Karnes
8. Bonaparte's Retreat - W.H. Stepp
9. With My Mother Dead and Gone - Kentucky Ramblers
10. Little Talk with Jesus, A - Ernest Phipps & His Holiness Singers
11. Ned Went A' Fishin - Walker's Corbin Ramblers
12. Darling Cora - B.F. Shelton
14. Ginseng Blues - Kentucky Ramblers
15. If the Light Has Gone Out of Your Soul - Ernest Phipps & His Holiness Singers
16. We Shall All Be Reunited - Alfred G. Karnes
17. Old Hen She Cackled, The
18. Do Not Wait 'Till I'm Laid Beneath the Clay - Kentucky Ramblers
19. Oh Molly Dear - B.F. Shelton
20. Don't Grieve After Me - Ernest Phipps & His Holiness Quartet
21. Mud Fence - Walter Williams
22. Where We'll Never Grow Old - Alfred G. Karnes
23. Ruffles and Bustles - Walker's Corbin Ramblers
24. Shine on Me - Ernest Phipps
25. Silver Strand
26. Glory to the Lamb - Kentucky Ramblers
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 2013
Recorded between 1927 and 1937.
Audio Remasterer: Richard Nevins.
Many rural fiddlers, guitarists, and banjo players from the state of Kentucky were taped while the recording industry was in its infancy. This interesting and valuable two-volume set, numbering 53 songs in all, presents a wide-ranging set of old-timey folk styles by artists who are known only to scholars in the field. Much of the material is taken from the famed Bristol sessions of the late '20s, and the late-'30s field recordings by renowned folklorist Alan Lomax. The roots of much modern country, folk, and even blues can be heard in these heartfelt, occasionally stirring performances of great conviction, religious or otherwise. Music of Kentucky: Early American Rural Classics 1927-1937, Vol. 1-2 is not just a history lesson, and it's a lot more accessible to modern-day listeners than many would assume. ~ Richie Unterberger
Dirty Linen (4-5/96, p.87) - "...a treasure trove incorporating many of the southern roots of old time, bluegrass, and American folk music..."
Musician (3/96, p.98) - "...beautiful, archaic music....70-year-old recordings of this isolated region's string bands, sacred singers and balladeers..."
Be The First To Write A Review
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.