CD Traditional Music of Ireland [O'Brien/Sproule/Kelly/O'Brien/Sproule/James Kelly] (CD 173114),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Traditional Music of Ireland [O'Brien/Sproule/Kelly/O'Brien/Sproule/James Kelly]
1. The Monahan Twig / John In The Mist
2. Humors Of Kilkenny / Drops Of Spring Water
3. Foxhunter's, The
4. Lovely Willie
5. The Rakes Of Kildare / The Horse's Leotard
6. The Rights Of Man / McGibbney's Fancy
7. The Small Hills Of Offaly / Farewell To Old Decancy
8. The Jolly Seven / McGettrick's
9. Paddy Taylor's / Anderson's
10. Molly Bawn (White-Haired Molly) / The Sandpiper
11. Cul Tlubh Na Bpearlai
12. Paddy Kelly's / John Doherty's
13. The Stage / The Western
14. John Doherty's / The Antrim Rose
15. Man Of The House / Ryan's Rant
16. Bracken's / Mrs. Cooty's (The Horse That Made A Haymes Of His Winders) / The Kinnegad Slashers
17. Jim Coleman's / Patsy Touhey's / Rodney Miller's
18. Boys of Mullaghbawn, The
19. John Kelly's / The Green Cottage / Cull Aodha
20. The Gravel Path / The Wild Irishman
21. Moving Cloud / Paddy Kelly's
22. Down the Hill
23. McCarthy's Favorite / Spring In The Air / Miss Emily
24. Hughie the Graeme
25. The Duke Of Leinster's Wife / Boys Of Ballisadare
26. John Doherty's / Kitty Come Down To Limerick
27. Sarah's Delight / Sean Sa Cheo
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 34014
Full performer name: James Kelly/Paddy O'Brien/Daithi Sproule.
This disc might look overwhelming to the neophyte or casual listener: 53 traditional tunes spread out over 27 tracks, 74 minutes of music in all, played by a bare-bones ensemble of fiddle, accordion, and guitar. And indeed, it's not an easy album to sit through all at once; while the featured instrumental combination is a lovely one, it's a sound that starts to wear after 45 minutes or so and makes this disc most effective when taken in measured doses. But that shouldn't deter lovers of Irish music -- or even those who are simply interested in it -- from diving in headfirst. James Kelly, Paddy O'Brien, and Dath Sproule are all virtuosic players who invest these tunes with an almost offhand grace that flirts with sloppiness but never gives in to it. Sproule's singing voice is good if not perfect (as opposed to his guitar playing, which is), and he chimes in at opportune moments, just before the fiddle/accordion/guitar texture gets monotonous. Best of all, this album works as an extensive catalog of traditional jigs, reels, and airs, from familiar numbers like "The Rights of Man" and "The Rakes of Kildare" to more obscure tunes, all played at moderate tempos with consummate taste and without grandstanding or pyrotechnics. ~ Rick Anderson
Be The First To Write A Review
Shanachie Records 34014
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.