CD In Holland: Dutch Treat! (CD 1268003),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
In Holland: Dutch Treat!
1. Some of These Days
2. After You've Gone
3. I Only Have Eyes for You
4. I Wish I Were Twins
5. Hands Across the Table
8. What Harlem Is to Me
9. Netcha's Dream
10. I Wanna Go Back to Harlem
12. Strange Fact, A
13. Original Dixieland One-Step
15. Something Is Gonna Give Me Away
19. Well, All Right Then
20. Blues Evermore
21. Dear Old Southland
22. Way Down Yonder in New Orleans
23. I Know That You Know
24. When Buddha Smiles
25. Swinging in the Groove
1. Some of These Days - (alternate take)
2. After You've Gone - (alternate take)
3. I Only Have Eyes for You - (alternate take)
4. I Wish I Were Twins - (alternate take)
5. Hands Across the Table - (alternate take)
6. Chicago - (alternate take)
7. Meditation - (alternate take)
8. What Harlem Is to Me - (alternate take)
9. Netcha's Dream - (alternate take)
10. I Wanna Go Back to Harlem - (alternate take)
11. Consolation - (alternate take)
12. Strange Fact, A - (alternate take)
13. Original Dixieland One-Step - (alternate take)
14. Smiles - (alternate take)
15. Something Is Gonna Give Me Away - (alternate take)
16. Lamentation - (alternate take)
17. Devotion - (alternate take)
18. Well, All Right Then - (alternate take)
19. Blues Evermore - (alternate take)
20. Dear Old Southland - (alternate take)
21. Way Down Yonder in New Orleans - (alternate take)
22. I Know That You Know - (alternate take)
23. When Buddha Smiles - (alternate take)
24. Swinging in the Groove - (alternate take)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 638
Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Jack Pet (guitar); Andre Van Den Ouderaa (violin, clarinet, tenor saxophone); Wim Poppink (clarinet, alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Sal Doof (alto saxophone); George Van Helvoirt, Jack Bulterman (trumpet); Marcel Thielemans (trombone); Freddy Johnson (piano); Kees Kranenburg (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Dave Bennett .
Liner Note Author: Clarrie Henley.
Recording information: Hague (02/04/1935-06/14/1938); Laren (02/04/1935-06/14/1938).
Coleman Hawkins' adventures as an American jazzman in Holland during the mid-'30s have been documented with regularity by numerous reissue labels. Dutch Treat!, Avid's 1998 double-disc anthology, appears to be the most thorough of them all, as it examines the recorded evidence in detail, presenting 25 masters and 24 alternate takes recorded in The Hague, Laren, and Hilversum between February 4, 1935, and June 14, 1938. Hawkins glows in the full glory of his early maturity, merrily jamming among capable players with names like Toon Diepenbroeck, Sal Doof, Kees Kranenburg, Wim Poppink, George van Helvoirt, and Andre Van Den Ouderaa. Hawkins is heard with a nine-piece ensemble known as the Ramblers and in trio and duet performances with drummer Maurice van Kleef and pianist Freddy Johnson. Vocals on "Some of These Days," "I Only Have Eyes for You," and "Hands Across the Table" were sung by Anny de Reuver, and Hawkins used his handsome speaking voice on "What Harlem Is to Me." A number of Hawk's original compositions are mixed in with swing standards and Tin Pan Alley pop tunes. They are "Swinging in the Groove," "Blues Evermore," "Well, All Right Then," "Something Is Gonna Give Me Away," "Netcha's Dream," and "A Strange Fact," known to the Dutch as "Een Vreemd Feit." The inclusion of alternate takes -- placed on a second disc so as to avoid repetition -- makes this a richly rewarding treat for those who love Coleman Hawkins and want to hear how good he sounded wherever he went during his amazing European sojourn during the years immediately preceding the Second World War. ~ arwulf arwulf
Be The First To Write A Review
Avid AMSC 638
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.