CD Jazz: The Definitive Performances (CD 399401),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Jazz: The Definitive Performances
0. DISC 1:
1. (Back Home Again In) Indiana - Original Dixieland Jazz Band
2. St. Louis Blues - Bessie Smith
3. Dippermouth Blues - Creole Jazz Band/King Oliver
4. Stampede, The - Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra
5. Wild Cat Blues - Clarence Williams/Blue Five/Sidney Bechet/Clarence Williams' Blue Five
6. Singin' the Blues (Till My Daddy Comes Home) - Frankie Trumbauer & His Orchestra/Bix Beiderbecke
7. West End Blues - Louis Armstrong/Earl Hines/Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five
8. Tiger Rag - Art Tatum
9. God Bless the Child - Billie Holiday
10. Lester Leaps In - Count Basie/Kansas City Seven/Lester Young
11. Flying Home - Goodman Group/Lionel Hampton/Charlie Christian/Benny Goodman Sextet
12. I Can't Get Started - Dizzy Gillespie
13. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
14. 9:20 Special - Coleman Hawkins/Count Basie Orchestra/Count Basie & His Orchestra
15. Let Me Off Uptown - Gene Krupa & His Orchestra
16. 'Tain't What You Do (It's the Way That You Do It) - Jimmie Lunceford & His Orchestra
17. Four Brothers - Stan Getz/Woody Herman & His Orchestra
18. Nica's Dream - Horace Silver/Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers
19. So What - John Coltrane/Miles Davis/Bill Evans/Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis Sextet
20. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Jazz Workshop/Charles Mingus
0. DISC 2:
1. Take Five - Dave Brubeck Quartet
2. It's All Right with Me - Erroll Garner
3. Straight, No Chaser - Thelonious Monk
4. Searching (Pleading for Love) - Duke Ellington
5. Sanctuary - Miles Davis
6. Meeting of the Spirits - John McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra
7. Watermelon Man - Herbie Hancock
8. Birdland - Weather Report
9. Artist in America, The - Ornette Coleman/London Symphony Orchestra
10. 'Round Midnight - Dexter Gordon
11. Steppin' Out With My Baby - Tony Bennett
12. Thousand Autumns, A - Branford Marsalis
13. Freedom Is in the Trying - Wynton Marsalis
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 65807
David Kahne; Delfeayo Marsalis; Steven Epstein; Irving Townsend; Phil Schaap (Compilation)
Also available as part of the 26-CD box set SONY MUSIC 100 YEARS: SOUND TRACK FOR A CENTURY (65750).
Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern, Phil Schapp and John Swenson.
Digitally remastered by Tom "Curly" Ruff and Phil Schaap (Sony Music Studios, New York, New York).
Personnel: Roy Eldridge (vocals, trumpet); Ivie Anderson, Jon Hendricks, Anita O'Day, Billie Holiday (vocals); Freddie Green, Paul Chapman, Ray Biondi, Fred Guy (guitar); Jan Hammer, Jerry Goodman, John McLaughlin, Charlie Christian (electric guitar); Michael Ward (violin); Herbie Hancock (pipe, electric piano, Clavinet, synthesizer); Larry Shields , Woody Herman (clarinet); Musky Ruffo, Clint Neagley, Lester Boone, Don Byas, Earle Warren, Walter Bates, Harry Carney, Jack Washington, Ernie Powell, James Carter , Earl Carruthers, Jimmy Powell , Johnny Hodges, Sam Musiker, Tab Smith, Barney Bigard, Victor Goines, Wessell Anderson, Willie Smith, Buddy Tate (reeds); Wayne Shorter (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone); Sam Marowitz, Ted Buckner, Paul Desmond, Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon, Hank Mobley, Herbie Steward, John Coltrane, John Handy, Stan Getz , Zoot Sims, Branford Marsalis, Booker Ervin, Charlie Rouse (tenor saxophone); Serge Chaloff (baritone saxophone); Graham Young, Cootie Williams, Dizzy Gillespie, Donald Byrd, Ed Lewis, Ernie Royal, Irwin "Marky" Markowitz, Freddie Jenkins, Harry "Sweets" Edison, Eddie Tompkins, Al Killian, Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Paul Webster, Shorty Rogers, Arthur Whetsol, Sy Oliver, Woody Shaw, Bernie Glow, Stan Fishelson, Buck Clayton (trumpet); Dicky Wells, Earl Swope, Eddie Edwards, John Grassi, Bob Swift, Elmer Crumbley, Jimmy Knepper, Joe "Tricky Sam" Nanton, Babe Wagner, Trummy Young, Ed Cuffee, Ollie Wilson (trombone); Juan Tizol (valve trombone); Wycliffe Gordon (tuba); Clyde Hart, Count Basie, Edwin Wilcox, George Cables, Henry W. Ragas, Horace Parlan, Horace Silver, Bob Kitsis, Ralph Sharon, Bill Evans (piano); Chick Corea, Joe Zawinul (keyboards); Jaco Pastorius, Paul Jackson , Rick Laird (electric bass); Dannie Richmond, Denzil Best, Don Lamond, Eddie Gladden, Gene Sargent, Irv Kluger, Jeff "Tain" Watts, Jimmy Cobb , Jimmy Crawford , Jo Jones , Joe Morello, Alex Acua, Mike Clark , Nick Fatool, Sam Woodyard, Art Blakey, Sonny Greer, Ben Riley, Billy Cobham, Clayton Cameron, Walter Yoder, Fred Otis (drums); Jim Riley, Herlin Riley, Manolo Badrena, Bill Summers (percussion).
NYC radio personality/jazz whiz Phil Schaap should be elected the pope of jazz (or at least, of Greenwich Village) for this superbly selected and annotated package. THE DEFINITIVE PERFORMANCES is just that, a remarkable survey of many styles of jazz, from New Orleans to the cutting-edge (then and now). There are too many gems to mention, and some will likely say, "but what about..." and "but THE definitive take on [classic tune] is on [other label]." One would have to be a terminal jazz snob not to be conscious of the scope and sheer good fun of this set. A few highlights: Stan Getz soars with Woody Herman's Herd on "Four Brothers"; Miles Davis's sublime "So What" and chilling "Sanctuary"; Art Tatum sounding like two pianists on the maniacally swinging "Tiger Rag"; the proto-cool of Tony Bennett & Anita O'Day; the epochal horns of Lester Young & Bix Beiderbecke. The ideal gift for your jazz-deficient friends or relatives. It's a time machine to an era in which jazz WAS pop music, and a vivid slab of American history. JAZZ: THE DEFINITIVE PERFORMANCES is all this and more.
Be The First To Write A Review
Sony Music Distribution (USA) 65807
Sony Music Distribution (
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright