CD Manhattan Research, Inc.  (CD 894426),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Manhattan Research, Inc. 
Raymond Scott (Jazz)
0. DISC 1:
1. Manhattan Research Inc. Copyright
2. Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. - (take 4, TRUE instrumental)
3. Bendix 1: The Tomorrow People
5. Bass-Line Generator, The
6. Don't Beat Your Wife Every Night!
7. B.C. 1675
9. Auto-Lite: Sta-Ful - (TRUE instrumental)
10. Sprite: Melonball Bounce - (TRUE instrumental)
11. Sprite: Melonball Bounce
12. Wheels That Go
13. Limbo: The Organized Mind
14. Portofino - (version 1)
15. Country Fair
16. Lady Gaylord
17. Good Air - (take 7)
18. Ibm Mt/St: The Paperwork Explosion
20. Super Cheer
21. Cheer: Revision 3
22. Twilight in Turkey
23. Medley:: Raymond Scott Quote / Vicks: Medicated Cough Drops
24. Vicks: Formula 44
25. Auto-Lite: Spark Plugs
28. Backwards Overload
29. Bufferin: Memories - (original version)
30. Bandito the Bongo Artist
31. Night and Day
32. Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. (395)
34. Ibm Probe
35. Gmgm 1a
36. Rhythm Modulator, The
0. DISC 2:
1. Ohio Plus
2. In the Hall of the Mountain Queen
3. General Motors: Futurama
4. Portofino - (version 2)
5. Wild Piece, The
7. Cyclic Bit
8. Ripples (Montage)
9. Wing Thing, The
10. Country Fair - (TRUE instrumental)
11. Cindy Electronium
12. Don't Beat Your Wife Every Night! - (TRUE instrumental)
13. Hostess: Twinkies
14. Hostess: Twinkies - (TRUE instrumental)
15. Ohio Bell: Thermo Fax
16. Pygmy Taxi Corporation, The
17. Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. - (take 1, announce copy)
18. Baltimore Gas & Electric Co. - (full version)
19. Lightworks - (slow version)
20. Paperwork Explosion, The - (TRUE instrumental)
21. Auto-Lite: Ford Family
22. Auto-Lite: Ford Family - (TRUE instrumental)
23. Raymond Scott Quote
24. Auto-Lite: Wheels
25. Bufferin: Memories - (demo version)
26. Space Mystery (Montage)
27. Toy Trumpet, The
28. Backward Bleeps
29. Raymond Scott Quote / Auto-Lite: Sta-Ful
30. Lightworks - (alternate instrumental version)
31. When Will It End?
32. Bendix 2: The Tomorrow People
33. Electronic Audio Logos, Inc.
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 9078
Gert-Jan Blom; Jeff Winner
Includes a 144-page hard-bound book.
MANHATTAN RESEARCH INC. features electronic music, musique concrete experiments, advertising jingles, and soundtracks originally featured in Jim Henson's pre-Muppet films. The electronic sounds generated on this 2-CD set were made by Raymond Scott inventions including the Clavivox, Circle Machine, Bass Line Generator, Rhythm Modulator, Karloff, Bandito The Bongo Artist and Electronium.
Personnel includes: Raymond Scott (spoken vocals, various electronic instruments); Dorothy Collins (vocals); Jim Henson (spoken vocals).
Recorded between 1953 & 1969. Includes liner notes by Joel Chadabe, Jeff Winner, Karen Falk, Gert-Jan Blom and Irwin Chusid. Includes interviews with Robert Moog, Herb Deutsch, Alan Entenman and Thomas Rhea.
Fascinated by the orderliness of sounds and machines, Raymond Scott composed and produced his innovative, eccentric, electronic music for commercials, films and his own amusement in the '50s and '60s. In assembling this overview of Scott's oeuvre, this lavish double album writes an important chapter in his life and career, defining his place in electronic music's history.
The research that went into this project (in large part by Jeff Winner and Gert-Jan Blom), is lovingly mirrored in the remarkable 144-page full-color hardbound book that houses the two discs. There are rare photos and documents, numerous interviews and essays, and nothing is superfluous. The overall effect of the entire package is to create a portrait of a unique, creatively driven artist.
Spin (9/00, p.185) - "...69 love songs to commerce and the space age....The music is both archaic and 'tres moderne'..."
The Wire (6/00, p.57) - "...Scott's flair for invention suited an age for car batteries, electric-powered toys and bright new chemical products. By using it to bring a gloss and sparkle to prevailing notions of progress, he helped drag electronic music out of the laboratory and into the home..."
Mojo (Publisher) (6/00, p.101) - "...Comprises generally abstract [electronic] experiments; space-age ad jingles...sonic experiments with tape loops and new instruments, or bleepy soundtracks for futuristic theme parks....A work of art in its own right..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Basta (USA) 9078
Allegro Corporation (Dist
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright