CD Masters of Classic Jazz: Swing Greats (CD 891189),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Masters of Classic Jazz: Swing Greats
0. DISC 1:
1. 'Tain't Me - Eddie Heywood and His Orchestra
2. Woke up Clipped - Ben Webster
3. Said Zed - Pete Brown
4. Blue Skies - Red Norvo
5. Bugle Call Rag - Stuff Smith
6. Begin the Beguine - Eddie Heywood
7. 'Nuff Said - Ben Webster
8. Little Jump, The - Pete Brown
9. I Surrender, Dear - Red Norvo
10. To a Wild Rose - Stuff Smith
11. Carry Me Back to Old Virginny - Eddie Heywood
12. Hron, The - Ben Webster
13. Ain't Misbehavin' - Pete Brown
14. Man I Love, The - Red Norvo
15. She's Funny That Way - Stuff Smith
16. Dirty Deal - Ben Webster
17. Caravan - Pete Brown
18. Minuet in Swing - Stuff Smith
0. DISC 2:
1. Tezol - Ben Webster
2. That's the Lick - Pete Brown
3. Melody in F - Stuff Smith
4. Lover Man - Eddie Heywood
5. Don't Blame Me - Ben Webster
6. Blue Skies - Pete Brown
7. Dee Dee's Dance - Red Norvo
8. Desert Sands - Stuff Smith
9. Coquette - Eddie Heywood
10. I Surrender, Dear - Ben Webster
11. Rosetta - Pete Brown
12. Red Jumps, The - Stuff Smith
13. Red Dust - Red Norvo
14. World Is Waiting for the Sunrise, The - Pete Brown
15. I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance With You - Stuff Smith
16. Prelude to a Kiss - Eddie Heywood
17. Tea for Two - Ben Webster
18. Low Down Blues - Pete Brown
19. Clyde's Blues - Red Norvo
20. Humoresque - Stuff Smith
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 4127
Includes liner notes by Scott Yanow.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Remo Palmieri (guitar); Stuff Smith (violin); Aaron Sachs (clarinet); Lem Davis (alto saxophone); Ben Webster (tenor saxophone); Doc Cheatham, Hot Lips Page, Jonah Jones (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Clyde Hart, Eddie Heywood, Danny Negri (piano); Red Norvo (vibraphone); Denzil Best, Eddie Dell, Jack Parker (drums).
Liner Note Author: Scott Yanow.
Recording information: 11/17/1943-06/23/1944.
This double CD has the master takes from five radio transcription sessions recorded during 1943-1944. The music is particularly valuable because a recording strike kept many of these musicians largely off records during the era. Heard from are the Eddie Heywood Sextet, a quintet featuring tenor saxophonist Ben Webster and trumpeter Hot Lips Page, a combo with altoist Pete Brown and trumpeter Jonah Jones, the Red Norvo sextet (with clarinetist Aaron Sachs), and the Stuff Smith trio. The music (mostly heated swing) is excellent but the packaging could be better since the programming on this 38-song two-CD set alternates between the five groups rather than sticking to one band at a time. Also, the claim of these performances being "previously unreleased" is untrue since the Jazzology label came out with the music (plus alternate takes and breakdowns) earlier. But small-group swing fans will certainly enjoy these performances, with violinist Stuff Smith often taking honors. ~ Scott Yanow
Be The First To Write A Review
E1 Distribution (USA)
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright