CD Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-1964 [Box] (CD 1063098),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-1964 [Box]
0. DISC 1: SEVEN STEPS: THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA RECORDINGS OF MILES DAVIS: 1963-1964:
1. Joshua - (previously unreleased)
2. I Fall in Love Too Easily
3. Baby Won't You Please Come Home
4. So Near, So Far
5. Basin Street Blues
6. Seven Steps to Heaven - (previously unreleased, Take 3)
7. Seven Steps to Heaven - (previously unreleased, Take 5)
8. Summer Night
0. DISC 2: SEVEN STEPS: THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA RECORDINGS OF MILES DAVIS: 1963-1964:
1. Seven Steps to Heaven - (previously unreleased, Rehearsal Take, rehearsal take)
2. Seven Steps to Heaven
3. So Near, So Far
5. Introduction by Andre Francis - (previously unreleased, live)
6. Autumn Leaves - (live)
7. Milestones - (live)
8. I Thought About You - (live)
0. DISC 3: SEVEN STEPS: THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA RECORDINGS OF MILES DAVIS: 1963-1964:
1. Joshua - (live)
2. All of You - (live)
3. Walkin' - (live)
4. Bye Bye Blackbird - (previously unreleased, live)
5. Bye Bye (Theme) - (previously unreleased, live)
0. DISC 4: SEVEN STEPS: THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA RECORDINGS OF MILES DAVIS: 1963-1964:
1. Introduction by Mort Fega
2. Autumn Leaves - (previously unreleased)
3. So What
4. Stella by Starlight
6. All of You
7. Go-Go (Theme and Announcement)
0. DISC 5: SEVEN STEPS: THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA RECORDINGS OF MILES DAVIS: 1963-1964:
1. Introduction by Billy Taylor
2. All Blues
3. My Funny Valentine
5. I Thought About You
7. Seven Steps to Heaven
8. There Is No Greater Love
9. Go-Go (Theme and Re-Introduction)
0. DISC 6: SEVEN STEPS: THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA RECORDINGS OF MILES DAVIS: 1963-1964:
1. Introduction by Teruo Isono - (live)
2. If I Were a Bell - (live)
3. My Funny Valentine - (live)
4. So What - (live)
5. Walkin' - (live)
6. All of You - (live)
7. Go-Go (Theme) - (live)
0. DISC 7: SEVEN STEPS: THE COMPLETE COLUMBIA RECORDINGS OF MILES DAVIS: 1963-1964:
1. Milestones - (live)
2. Autumn Leaves - (live)
3. So What - (live)
4. Stella by Starlight - (previously unreleased, live)
5. Walkin' - (live)
6. Go-Go (Theme) - (live)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 90840
Teo Macero; Kiyoshi Itoh; Ruby Wolpert; Teo Macero; Kiyoshi Itoh; Ruby Wolpert; Michael Cuscuna (Compilation); Bob Belden (Compilation)
Initial pressings of SEVEN STEPS are packaged with a deluxe metal spine.
Also includes a 92-page booklet with rare photos, complete discography and essays by Michael Cuscuna and Bob Blumenthal.
Personnel: Miles Davis (trumpet); Miles Davis; Ron Carter (double bass); Tony Ruption Williams , Tony Williams (drums); George Coleman, Sam Rivers, Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Victor Feldman, Herbie Hancock (piano); Frank Butler (drums).
Audio Remixer: Mark Wilder.
Liner Note Authors: Michael Cuscuna; Bob Blumenthal.
Recording information: Berlin Philharmonic Hall, Berlin, Germany (04/16/1963-09/19/1964); Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York, NY (04/16/1963-09/19/1964); Columbia Studios, LA (04/16/1963-09/19/1964); Kohseinenkin Hall, Tokyo, Japan (04/16/1963-09/19/1964); Philharmonic Hall, New York, NY (04/16/1963-09/19/1964); The Festival Mondial Du Jazz Antibes, Juan-Les-Pins, Fr (04/16/1963-09/19/1964).
All tracks have been digitally mastered using 24-bit technology.
Introduction bys: Billy Taylor ; Andre Francis; Terry Isono; Mort Fega.
Photographers: Vernon Smith; John Wilkes; Ted Williams ; Joe Alper; Jan Persson; Roger Marshutz; Lee Tanner; Chuck Stewart.
In the 1960s, trumpeter Miles Davis became a star outside of the jazz world, first with what history refers to as "the Quintet" with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock, then with his highly influential post-BITCHES BREW electric bands. But there was a "transitional" period, after John Coltrane left Davis's employ and before the Shorter/Hancock era, which the SEVEN STEPS box set based around the SEVEN STEPS TO HEAVEN album documents in its entirety, often in a live context.
Davis was seeking the right combination of musicians for his sonic flights, where hard-bop and modal styles could be combined with a wide-open, increasingly elastic sound. Before settling on Shorter (present here), he tried the conventionally hearty, blues-accented bop approach of saxophonist George Coleman and the rippling, somewhat more avant-garde Sam Rivers. Both soar and sear at their respective best, providing remarkable contrast to Davis's magically cool horn. UK-born pianist Victor Feldman plays on some tracks, Hancock on others; the drum chair features Tony Williams (also an explorer of avant expression) and Frank Butler (a crackling, swinging mainstream bopper). SEVEN STEPS includes material originally available on the early-'60s albums IN EUROPE and FOUR & MORE, among others, with (attention, collectors!) the inclusion of eight previously unreleased tracks.
Uncut (p.159) - 4 stars out of 5 - "These seven CDs see him build on the pensive, spacious, elegant style he'd developed with players like John Coltrane and Bill Evans."
Magnet (p.134) - "[The recording] provides insight into how the trumpeter brought his genre-transforming creativity to a boil."
The Wire (p.66) - "These are almost entirely live recordings, and the contrast with the quintet with Coltrane is striking..."
Down Beat (p.83) - 4 1/2 stars out of 5 - "[The box set] documents trumpeter Davis' ongoing steps away from the studio, as he wrestled with time-tested standards, searched for ideas and tried on different players in the process."
Mojo (Publisher) (p.128) - 5 stars out of 5 - "After it, jazz was never the same again."
Be The First To Write A Review
Sony Music Distribution (USA) 90840
Sony Music Distribution (
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright