CD Talkin' Verve: Roots of Acid Jazz [Various Artists] [CD Boxset] [2 discs] (CD 6787094),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Talkin' Verve: Roots of Acid Jazz [Various Artists] [CD Boxset] [2 discs]
0. DISC 1:
1. Bumpin' - Wes Montgomery
2. Cantaloupe Island - Donald Byrd
3. Chang, Chang, Chang - Yusef Lateef
4. Cool - Oliver Nelson
5. Bags and Strings - Milt Jackson
6. Cat, The - Jimmy Smith
7. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Little Richie Varola
8. Fall Out - Rahsaan Roland Kirk
9. Nina's Dance - Tony Scott
10. Blues Greasy - Sonny Stitt
11. James and Wes - Jimmy Smith/Wes Montgomery
12. Moanin' - Cal Tjader
13. Boogaloo in Room 802 - Willie Bobo
0. DISC 2:
1. Manteca - Dizzy Gillespie
2. Mambocito Mio - Illinois Jacquet
3. Love - Stan Getz
4. Song of the Yellow River - Cal Tjader
5. Descarga del Bobo, La - Willie Bobo
6. Latin Slide - La Clave
7. Manha de Carnaval - Cal Tjader
8. Crickets Sing for Anamaria - Marcos Valle
9. Cantaloupe Woman, The - Grant Green
10. Soul Sauce (Guachi Guaro) - Cal Tjader
11. Yo Yo Yo - Slim Gaillard & His Internationally Famous Orchestra
12. Samba Triste - Jackie Cain/Roy Kral/Jackie & Roy
13. Got My Mojo Working - Jimmy Smith
14. Devilette - Donald Byrd (previously unreleased)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 527504
Producers include Creed Taylor, Norman Granz, Esmond Edwards, Bob Morgan, Teddy Reig.
Compilation producers: Aric Lach Morrison, Gilles Peterson, Bill Brower.
Recorded between 1951 and 1972. Includes liner notes by Bill Brower.
Personnel: Grant Green (guitar).
Recording information: Carnegie Ha (05/25/1951-12/13/1972); New York, NY (05/25/1951-12/13/1972); Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (05/25/1951-12/13/1972); WOR Recording Studios, New York, NY (05/25/1951-12/13/1972).
Kicking off Verve's series of soul jazz-focused compilations and single-artist collections, Talkin' Verve: Roots of Acid Jazz offers up a hefty sampling of some of the best groove-friendly tracks from the years 1954-1972. The first of the two discs here features combo and big-band cookers by the likes of Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Smith, Willie Bobo, Donald Byrd, and Cal Tjader. Latin-boogaloo rhythms and Smith's organ-soul innovations inform a lot of the material, with the pop and blues elements in jazz getting a good dose of the spotlight. Other's contributing to the first disc's considerable store of quality material include Sonny Stitt, Oliver Nelson, Roland Kirk, and Milt Jackson. On disc two, the emphasis is on the fertile range of styles from the Latin side of `60s jazz (with a `50s and `70s track included as well). Highlights come courtesy of Dizzy Gillespie, Stan Getz, Tjader, and Grant Green. One of the best and most original modern jazz compilations available. ~ Stephen Cook
Be The First To Write A Review
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright