CD The Very Best of Prestige: Prestige 60th Anniversary (CD 4601301),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
The Very Best of Prestige: Prestige 60th Anniversary
0. DISC 1:
1. Subconscious-Lee - Lee Konitz/Lennie Tristano
2. I'm in the Mood for Love - James Moody
3. I Want to Be Happy - Sonny Stitt/Bud Powell
4. Blue Monk - Thelonious Monk
5. Airegin - Miles Davis
6. Django - The Modern Jazz Quartet
7. Tenor Madness - Sonny Rollins
8. St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins
9. If I Were a Bell - Miles Davis Quintet
10. My Funny Valentine - Miles Davis
11. Hey Now - Red Garland Trio
12. I Love You - John Coltrane
13. Why Was I Born? - Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane/John Coltrane/Kenny Burrell
0. DISC 2:
1. Very Saxy - Coleman Hawkins/Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis/Arnett Cobb/Buddy Tate
2. Lotus Blossom - Kenny Dorham
3. Hittin' the Jug - Gene Ammons
4. March on, March On - Oliver Nelson
5. Les - Eric Dolphy
6. Plum Blossom, The - Yusef Lateef
7. Three for Dizzy - Rahsaan Roland Kirk
8. Soul Shoutin' - Shirley Scott/Stanley Turrentine
9. Misty - Richard "Groove" Holmes
10. Waltz for Geri - Pat Martino
11. Fried Bananas - Dexter Gordon
12. More Today Than Yesterday - Charles Earland
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 31239
Nick Phillips (Compilation)
Personnel: Kenny Burrell, Melvin Sparks, Pat Martino, Billy Bauer , Gene Edwards (guitar); Yusef Lateef (flute); Rahsaan Roland Kirk (manzello, tenor saxophone, siren); Eric Dolphy, Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon, Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis , Gene Ammons, Houston Person, John Coltrane, Oliver Nelson, Arnett Cobb, Sonny Rollins, Sonny Stitt, Stanley Turrentine, Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone); Freddie Hubbard, Richard Allen Williams M.D., Leppe Sundevall, Kenny Dorham, Miles Davis, Virgil Jones (trumpet); John G. Lewis, Horace Silver, Thore Swanerud, Jaki Byard, Lennie Tristano, Red Garland, Richard Wyands, Thelonious Monk, Tommy Flanagan, Barry Harris , Bud Powell (piano); Richard "Groove" Holmes, Trudy Pitts, Charles Earland (organ); Milt Jackson (vibraphone); Grassella Oliphant, Mitch Fine, Jack Noren, Idris Muhammad, Jimmie Smith , Kenny Clarke, Andy Taylor , Albert "Tootie" Heath, Lex Humphries, Max Roach, Philly Joe Jones, Roy Haynes, Art Blakey, Arthur Edgehill, Shelly Manne (drums); Abdu Johnson, Ray Barretto, Buddy Caldwell (congas); Vance Anderson (bongos).
Liner Note Author: Nick Phillips.
Recording information: New York, NY (01/11/1949-12/15/1969); Stockholm, Sweden (01/11/1949-12/15/1969); Van Gelder Studios, Hackensack, NJ (01/11/1949-12/15/1969).
Photographers: Esmond Edwards; Jerry Stoll; Lee Tanner; Herman Leonard; Chuck Stewart; Bob Parent.
Sharing the honors with Blue Note Records, Prestige has been the premier American jazz label for several decades, and this 60TH ANNIVERSARY collection provides a superlative overview of the label's most artistically and commercially significant successes. When the bebop and cool schools were the avant-garde of their era, Prestige recorded Lennie Tristano (with Lee Konitz) and Bud Powell; when hard bop was in flower, they released definitive discs by Miles Davis and John Coltrane. In the `60s, there were even newer genres, such as soul-jazz (Charles Earland, Groove Holmes), free jazz (Eric Dolphy), and the beginnings of world fusion (Yusef Lateef), not to forget the mainstream (Kenny Dorham and the perennial Dexter Gordon). For casual fans, jazz novices, and devotees craving an imaginary soundtrack to Prestige's history, 60TH ANNIVERSARY is darn near essential.
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright