CD Undercover [Hip Bop] (CD 1010304),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Undercover [Hip Bop]
1. Kashmir - Lenny White/Foley
2. Chameleon - Urbonator/Herbie Hancock
3. I Heard It Through the Grapevine - Metro/Chuck Loeb
4. Back to Life - Tom Browne/Sybil
5. Who Do You Love - Lenny White/Chaka Khan
6. Mustang Sally - John Clark/Anthony Jackson
7. Milestones - Tom Browne/Najee
8. Watermelon Man - Urbanator/Tom Browne
9. Sunshine of Your Love - Jack Bruce/Ginger Baker
10. All Blues - Urbanator/Tom Browne
11. Wind Cries Mary, The - Tom Browne/KCB
0. DISC 2:
1. Too Hot - Tom Browne/Toni Smith
2. Nautilus - David McMurray/Bob James
3. Fields of Gold - Michael "Patches" Stewart/Bill Evans
4. Sailing - Lenny White/Nicki Richards
5. Hanging on a String - Tom Browne/Sybil
6. Brown Sugar - David McMurray/Luis Resto
7. That's What Friends Are For - Tom Browne/Michal Urbaniak
8. Tea in the Sahara - Lenny White/Chick Corea
9. My Funny Valentine - Michael "Patches" Stewart/Al Jarreau
10. Killing Me Softly With His Song - David McMurray/Bonnie Peele
11. Everybody Loves the Sunshine - Tom Browne/Silivea Robinson
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 820
This double-disc compilation features some of your favorite songs from previously released albums. Songs written by such musical heavyweights as Herbie Hancock, Sting, and Rodgers & Hart are reinterpreted by Lenny White, Tom Browne, and a host of others. This is a great party disc because of the stylistic range of these covers. There's something for everyone -- from funk to rock to smooth jazz. Disc one ("Hard Cover") opens with Lenny White's rendition of the Led Zeppelin hit "Kashmir." There's no mistaking his rock drumming chops, but with the addition of Foley on vocals and Danny Walsh on tenor saxophone, this song is taken to new heights and aural discovery. With Chaka Khan adding her soulful vocals and Marcus Miller doing the bass honors, "Who Do You Love" becomes an easy question to answer. White's new arrangement of "Watermelon Man," played here by Urbanator, is not only a funky version but it allows several players, including trumpeter Browne, to shine on their solos. "Sunshine of Your Love" (with Ginger Baker on drums), Miles Davis' "All Blues" (with Browne doing a great trumpet melody), and Jimi Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary" (with rap vocals by KCB) round out disc one. Disc two ("Soft Cover") features a more pensive mood, with soulful ballads, smooth grooves, and great vocals. "Sailing" gets a soulful arrangement with vocals by Nicki Richards and a great piano solo by Geri Allen. Richards' vocals inspire a new appreciation for Sting's"Tea in the Sahara" as she teams with Lenny White again, but now has the great Chick Corea, Gil Goldstein, and Dean Brown as accompanists. "My Funny Valentine," sung here by Al Jarreau, gets an excellent update with its electronic atmosphere and great soloing from trumpeter Michael "Patches" Stewart and alto saxophonist Kenny Garrett. Disc two closes with "Everybody Loves the Sunshine," an all-time favorite of Tom Browne's fans. Browne offers a killer trumpet solo that is both hot and cool. Overall, the 22 songs offered on this double-disc set should appeal to most music lovers because of the great talent, song selection, and wonderful array of musical styles. ~ Paula Edelstein
Be The First To Write A Review
Hip Bop 820
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.