CD Early Jin Singles: Southland Rock'n'Roll (CD 115043),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Early Jin Singles: Southland Rock'n'Roll
1. Southland - Jesse Lee Campbell
2. This Should Go on Forever - Rod Bernard
3. You've Gone Too Far - Rob & The Rhythm Aces/Bryan Evert
4. Crying Over You - Jesse Lee Campbell
5. Take a Ride - Clint West/Red Smiley
6. Going out with the Tide - Jesse Lee Campbell
7. Forgive Me - Jesse Lee Campbell
8. Up, Up and Away - Jesse Lee Campbell
9. Lover Blues - Clint West/Red Smiley
10. Jailbird - Clint West/Red Smiley & the Veltones/Red Smiley & The Vel-Tones
11. Lubby Lou - Jesse Lee Campbell
12. Once Again - Clint West/Red Smiley (previously unreleased)
13. My Little Girl - Floyd Soileau/J.D. Miller/Jesse Lee Campbell/Rock Sidney & His All-Stars
14. Lesson in Love - Jesse Lee Campbell
15. Tough - Phil Bo
16. Give Me One More Chance - Rockin' Dave Allen
17. Say That You Love Me - Jesse Lee Campbell
18. Help Me - Jesse Lee Campbell
19. Cheryl Ann - Jesse Lee Campbell
20. Oh, Susannah - Jesse Lee Campbell
21. As Long as I Have You - Jesse Lee Campbell
22. Can't Stand to See You Go - Rockin' Dave Allen
23. Deep Elem Blues - Jesse Lee Campbell
24. Crying Over You - Johnnie Allan
25. Forever Is a Long Long Time - Tibby Edwards
26. Double Trouble - Jesse Lee Campbell
27. Don't Take It So Hard - Phil Bo
28. Little Cajun Girl - Gene King
29. I Lost Again - Jesse Lee Campbell
30. She Wears My Ring - Phil Bo
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 878
Performers include: Johnnie Allan, Red Bernard, Jivin' Gene and Rocking Sidney, Phil Bo, Rockin' Dave Allen, Mary McCoy, Del-Chords, Lee Martin, Tibby Edwards, Chuck Martin, Red Smiley, Glen Wells.
Contains 30 tracks.
Recorded between 1958-1961.
Liner Note Authors: Jon Broven; Jeff Hannusch.
Recording information: 1958-1961.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Floyd Soileau; Chuck Martin ; Joey Long; Lee Martin; Phil Bo; Rod Bernard; Tibby Edwards.
Run by Floyd Soileau, the small independent Jin label released a lot of the earliest Louisiana swamp pop in the late '50s and early '60s, occasionally releasing product in a similar vein by Texas musicians. This anthology brings together 30 tracks from 1958-1961, mostly from Jin singles (though a couple appeared on Soileau's Swallow label, and Red Smiley & the Veltones' "Once Again" was previously unreleased). Overall, it's a good overview of the first flourish of swamp pop, the regional music that mixed rock & roll, Fats Domino-style New Orleans R&B, blues, pop, doo wop, and Cajun sounds in varying proportions, usually in a good-time or sentimental tone. While there aren't many tracks here that are exceptionally memorable or classic, it's a pleasing sound that rang with more sincerity than much rock of the period. Occasionally, too, it was rawer and bluesier than the stereotypical swamp pop sound, as in Doug Ardoin & the Boogie Kings' raunchy rockabilly pounder "Southland" and the fairly penetrating blues-rock sides by Texans Mary McCoy and Rockin' Dave Allen (whose "Can't Stand to See You Go" sounds rather like Slim Harpo). Unfortunately, Soileau's most successful masters were sold to bigger labels, which means that the national hits "I'm a Fool to Care" (by Joe Barry) and "This Should Go on Forever" (by Rod Bernard) aren't included. The CD does, however, have a different version of "This Should Go on Forever" that Bernard redid for American Bandstand that omitted the word "sinner" and came out on a 1958 British single. ~ Richie Unterberger
Mojo (Publisher) (3/03, p.122) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...A virtual primer of bayou rock'n'roll..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Ace (Label) 878
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright