CD Land of 1000 Dances, Vol. 2: 1956-1966 (CD 114037),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Land of 1000 Dances, Vol. 2: 1956-1966
1. Mickey's Monkey - The Miracles
2. Let's Stomp - Bobby Comstock
3. Twist, The - Hank Ballard/The Midnighters/Hank Ballard & the Midnighters
4. Loop de Loop - Johnny Thunder
5. Jerk, The - The Larks
6. 81, The - Candy & the Kisses
7. Madison Time, Pt. 1, The - Ray Bryant Combo
8. Bounce, The - The Olympics
9. Lurch, The - Ted Cassidy
10. Bird's the Word, The - The Rivingtons
11. Foot Stomping, Pt. 1 - The Flares
12. Twine Time - Alvin Cash & the Crawlers
13. Shake a Tail Feather - The Five Du-Tones
14. (I Do the) Shimmy Shimmy - Bobby Freeman
15. Cool Shake - The Del Vikings
16. Cinnamon Cinder (It's a Very Nice Dance) - Pastel Six
17. Roach, The (Dance) - The Sweethearts/Gene & Wendell (Dance)
18. (Make With) The Snake - Mark IV
19. Crawl, The - Guitar Junior
20. Crusher, The - The Novas
21. Bacon Fat - Andre Williams
22. Wobble, The - Curtis Lee
23. Pop-Eye - Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns
24. Barefootin' - Robert Parker
25. Skate Now - Lou Courtney
26. Land of 1000 Dances (The "Na Na" Song) - Round Robin
27. Twist, Twist Senora - Gary "U.S." Bonds
28. Baby Workout - Jackie Wilson
29. Twistin' USA - Danny & the Juniors
30. (Dance With The) Guitar Man - Duane Eddy & The Rebelettes
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 840
Performers include: Del-Vikings, Johnny Thunder, Gene & Wendell, The Larks, Duane Eddy, The Olympics, Gary U.S. Bonds, Jackie Wilson, Hank Ballard, The Flares, Huey Smith, Alvin Cash, The Miracles, The Rivingtons.
Recorded between 1957 & 1966.
Contains 30 tracks.
Personnel: Bob Toten (guitar); Bill K. Myers, Tony Stealman (saxophone); Lynn Hamm (drums).
As the compilation title promises, this has 30 dance-oriented rock & roll singles from the mid-'50s to the mid-'60s, most of them big or mid-level hits, with a few rarities as well. There's no questioning the classic credentials of the big hits on board: the Miracles' "Mickey's Monkey," Hank Ballard & the Midnighters' original version of "The Twist," Jackie Wilson's "Baby Workout," the Larks' "The Jerk," Robert Parker's "Barefootin'," and Alvin Cash's "Twine Time." There are also a host of lower-charting hits that are nonetheless pretty familiar staples, though they tend not to make it onto mainstream oldies compilations: Bobby Comstock's "Let's Stomp," the Flares' "Foot Stomping Pt. 1" (with, mind you, the organ part missing from most reissues), Huey Smith's "Pop-Eye," and Danny & the Juniors' "Twistin' USA." For collectors, the real charm will be in the lesser-known low-charting singles and the rarities, some of which didn't make the Top 100 at all. There is, for instance, the pretty awful novelty "The Lurch" by Ted Cassidy, who played Lurch on TV's The Addams Family; Andre Williams' "Bacon Fat," covered to much better effect by the Sir Douglas Quintet a decade later; the Rivingtons' "The Bird's the Word," which formed part of the basis for the Trashmen's "Surfin' Bird"; the Five Du-Tones' "Shake a Tail Feather," the original version of an early soul standard which nonetheless isn't frequently anthologized; and the Novas' ridiculous wrestling novelty "The Crusher," familiar to Dr. Demento listeners and trash-culture lovers everywhere. Of course, some of the other obscurities aren't very good, though Candy and the Kisses' "The 81" is an extremely uncanny and enjoyable rip-off of Martha & the Vandellas' "In My Lonely Room." The annotation is superb, giving basic biographical details and specific stories behind each record. ~ Richie Unterberger
Be The First To Write A Review
Ace (Label) 840
E1 Distribution (USA)
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright