CD Platinum: A Life in Music [Box] (CD 446413),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Platinum: A Life in Music [Box]
0. DISC 1:
1. I'll Never Stand in Your Way - (1954 demo)
2. That's All Right - (alternate take)
3. Blue Moon - (alternate take)
4. Good Rockin' Tonight
5. Mystery Train
6. I Got a Woman - (alternate take)
7. Heartbreak Hotel - (alternate take)
8. I'm Counting on You - (alternate take)
9. Shake, Rattle And Roll / Flip, Flop And Fly
10. Lawdy, Miss Clawdy - (alternate take)
11. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You - (alternate take)
12. Hound Dog
13. Don't Be Cruel
14. Rip It Up - (alternate take)
15. Love Me Tender
16. When the Saints Go Marching In - (private recording)
17. All Shook Up
18. Peace in the Valley (For Me), (There'll Be) - (alternate take)
19. Bluebery Hill - (rare acetate)
20. Teddy Bear, (Let Me Be Your)
21. Jailhouse Rock
22. New Orleans
23. I Need Your Love Tonight - (alternate take)
24. Big Hunk O' Love, A - (alternate take)
25. Bad Nauheim Medley: I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen / I Will Be True / It's Been So Long Darling / Apron Strings / There's No Tomorrow (Private Recording)
0. DISC 2:
1. Stuck on You
2. Fame and Fortune
3. It's Now or Never
4. It Feels So Right - (alternate take)
5. Mess of Blues, A - (alternate take)
6. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
7. Reconsider Baby
8. Tonight Is So Right For Love - (alternate take)
9. His Hand in Mine - (alternate take)
10. Milky White Way - (alternate take)
11. I'm Comin' Home - (alternate take)
12. I Feel So Bad - (alternate take)
13. Can't Help Falling in Love
14. Something Blue - (alternate take)
15. Return to Sender
16. Bossa Nova Baby - (alternate take)
17. How Great Thou Art - (alternate take)
18. Guitar Man - (alternate take)
19. You'll Never Walk Alone - (alternate take)
20. Oh How I Love Jesus
21. Tennessee Waltz
22. Blowin' in the Wind
23. I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love With You)
24. I'm Beginning to Forget You
25. After Loving You
0. DISC 3:
1. I Got a Woman - (rehearsal)
2. Tiger Man - (rehearsal)
3. When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again - (previously unreleased)
4. Trying to Get to You - (previously unreleased)
5. If I Can Dream - (alternate take)
6. In the Ghetto - (alternate take)
7. Suspicious Minds - (alternate take)
8. Power of My Love - (alternate take)
9. Baby What You Want Me to Do
11. Johnny B. Goode
12. Release Me
13. See See Rider
14. Wonder of You, The
15. Sound of Your Cry, The - (alternate take)
16. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
17. Funny How Time Slips Away
18. I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water
19. I Was the One
20. Cattle Call
21. Baby, Let's Play House
23. Money Honey
24. What'd I Say
25. Bridge Over Troubled Water
0. DISC 4:
1. Miracle of the Rosary - (alternate take)
2. He Touched Me - (alternate take)
3. Bosom of Abraham - (alternate take)
4. I'll Be Home on Christmas Day - (alternate take)
5. For the Good Times - (alternate take)
6. Burning Love - (alternate take)
7. Separate Ways - (alternate take)
8. Always on My Mind - (alternate take)
9. American Trilogy, An
10. Take Good Care of Her - (alternate take)
11. I've Got a Thing About You Baby
12. Are You Sincere - (alternate take)
13. It's Midnight - (alternate take)
14. Promised Land - (alternate take)
15. Steamroller Blues - (previously unreleased)
16. And I Love You So -(Alternate Take)
18. Danny Boy - (alternate take)
19. Moody Blue
20. Hurt - (alternate take)
21. For the Heart - (alternate take)
22. Pledging My Love - (alternate take)
23. Way Down - (alternate take)
24. My Way - (previously unreleased)
25. Excerpt From the Jaycees Speech
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 67469
This 4-CD box set contains a 48-page book and consists mostly of previously-unreleased alternate takes of Presley's hits.
Personnel includes: Elvis Presley, Scotty Moore, Bill Black, D.J. Fontana, Chet Atkins, Floyd Kramer, Shorty Long, Marvin Hughes, Hilmer "Tiny" Timbrell, Dudley Brooks, Bob Moore, Hank Garland, Buddy Harman, Boots Randolph, Ray Siegel, Al Casey, Hal Blaine, Jerry Reed, Charlie Hodge, Tommy Tedesco, Reggie Young, Bobby Emmons, Mike Leech, James Burton, John Wilkinson, Jerry Carrigan, Glen Spreen, Emory Gordy, Tommy Hensley, Johnny Christopher, Bobby Ogdin, The Bobby Morris Orchestra, The Joe Guercio Orchestra, Ben & Brock Speer, The Jordanaires, The Imperials Quartet, June Page, Dolores Edgin, The Blossoms, The Sweet Inspirations, Ginger Holladay, Temple Riser, Kathy Westmoreland, J.D. Summer and The Stamps, Myrna Smith.
Compilation producers: Ernst Mikael Jorgensen, Roger Semon.
Engineers include: Sam Phillips, Thorne Nogar, Bill Porter.
Recorded between 1954 and 1970. Includes liner notes by Colin Escott.
You probably think you've heard all there is to hear from The King, what with countless Elvis retrospectives, anthologies and reissues flooding the market. While PLATINUM is far from the first Elvis box, it's unique in that it's composed largely of previously unreleased material. Four discs cover every phase of Presley's career, from young Memphis hip-shaker to middle-aged Vegas hip-shaker, adding a fresh perspective to each period.
It's both an education and a kick to hear alternate versions of songs as ingrained in the public consciousness as "That's All Right," and others from Elvis' legendary Sun sessions. Obscure delights like 1969's "Power Of My Love" update one of rock & roll's most stellar legacies. Off-the-cuff recordings and live TV performances contribute further to this set, which proves that even the most zealous Elvis fan hasn't heard the whole story yet.
Rolling Stone (8/21/97, p.108) - 4 Stars (out of 5) - "...an amazing and revelatory journey encompassing explosive rock & roll, hard-edged country, slow-boiling R&B, sentimental pop, soul-baring spirituals, a haunting stab at folk...and a single tenderhearted Christmas entry..."
Entertainment Weekly (7/18/97, pp.81-82) - "...PLATINUM is full of blues shouts, gospel meditations, rockabilly shuffles--all of which fry with a kind of fatback jubilation that Elvis never got to explore in his movie ditties..." - Rating: B
NME (Magazine) (8/2/97, p.38) - "...His legend may be sullied and omnipresent, his music distorted and overly familiar and his life parodied and documented to a suffocating degree, but this compilation at least reminds you why he was the King and why his music meant so much..."
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.