CD That'll Flat Git It, Vol. 27: From the Vault of Sage and Sand Records [Digipak]  (CD 7013782),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
That'll Flat Git It, Vol. 27: From the Vault of Sage and Sand Records [Digipak] 
1. Yah! I'm Movin'
2. Tuscaloosa Lucy - Whitey Pullen
3. Got the Best of Me - Donnie Bowser
4. Walk My Way Back Home - Whitey Pullen
5. Watcha Do to Me - Patsy Clark
6. Four Wheel Bugalow
7. Let Me Slide - Jimmy Patton
8. O.K. Doll, It's a Deal - Joannie King
9. Teenage Queen - Lonnie Barron
10. Let's All Go Wild Tonight - Whitey Pullen
11. Honky Tonk Queen - Larry Thornton
12. I Wanta Be Free - Evelyn Harlene
13. Lost John - Casey Clark & His Lazy Ranch Boys
14. Drinkin' Wine - Whitey Pullen
15. Climbing This Mountain - Goldie Fields
16. Sadie Mae - Rusty York
17. Hey Baby - Aubrey Holt
18. Love, Come Back to Me
19. Chatterbox - Goldie Fields
20. Knockin' My Head (Against a Cold Stone Wall)
21. Moonshine Liquor - Whitey Pullen
22. Cotton Pickin' Ball - Charlie Williams
23. Crazy, Crazy Baby - Chuck Howard
24. Old Jealous Moon - Goldie Fields
25. Never No More - Wally & Don
26. History - Joannie King
27. So Wild Over You - Herbie Smith
28. Everybody's Rockin' - Whitey Pullen
29. Tennessee Hound Dog - Tex Atchison
30. White Line - Jack Morris & His Night Owls
31. Open Up the Door - Eddie Dean/Joanie Hall
32. So What - Don Deal
33. Please Don't - Wally & Don
34. Playing Guitar & Missing You - Charlie Williams
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 16838
Pat Nelson; Woodie O. Fleener; Stefan Kohne (Reissue)
Illustrators: Dave Barnes; Klaus Kettner; Claes Hken Olofsson ; Dick Blackburn; Diethold Leu; Al Turner ; Bo Berglind; Kent Heineman; Aubrey Holt; Bobby Lile.
Photographers: Dave Barnes; Klaus Kettner; Claes Hken Olofsson ; Dick Blackburn; Diethold Leu; Al Turner ; Bo Berglind; Kent Heineman; Aubrey Holt; Bobby Lile.
The Bear Family label continues to document the lesser-known avenues of rockabilly, rock & roll, and Western bop on their That'll Flat Git It! series, and the 27th (!) disc in the series collects 34 vintage sides from the California-based Sage & Sand Records imprint (as well as its imaginatively named affiliated labels, Sage Records and Sand Records). Like more than a few of the labels Bear Family has documented in this series, Sage & Sand's focus seemed to be first in country and later in rock & roll, and most of the rockin' sides here have a clear country bent (fiddles and steel guitars are prominent on many cuts), but most everything here makes with the boogie in grand style, and there's plenty here for fans of vintage swingin' sounds. The rockabilly acts on the label seem to have been a little short on rebellious instincts (Whitey Pullen's "Let's All Go Wild Tonight" makes the poor guy sound like his idea of a big night is drinking a third can of 3.2 beer), but the session men who made their way into Sage & Sand's studio delivered the goods, and most all of these tunes boast sharp guitar work with concise and inspired soloing (Evelyn Harlene's "I Wanta Be Free" shamelessly rips off the intro to Carl Perkins' "Honey Don't," but the picker is good enough to make the lift work), as well as some fierce slapping bass and occasional snappy drumming (the lack of percussion beyond a snare to keep time attests to the label's country leanings). The songwriting isn't always inspired on this collection, but it's consistent and good-natured, and if Sage & Sand leaned to the more wholesome end of rockabilly and early rock, they still put some talented acts on wax, and this is a genuinely enjoyable collection of well-crafted rock and twang. Colin Escott's liner notes are typically excellent, making the most of what little is known about many of the acts featured here and spinning the tale well when there's a real story to be told (Lonnie Barron's music hardly makes him sound like a guy who would be involved in a love triangle that ended in murder, proving once again you can't always tell about those nice guys). ~ Mark Deming
Be The First To Write A Review
Bear Family Records (Germany) 16838
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.