CD The Roots of Hip Hop [Digipak] (CD 1354259),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
The Roots of Hip Hop [Digipak]
1. Baby, Baby - Ashton Conroy/Katie Webster
2. Caught - Mamie Ree/Gus Jenkins Band/Mamie Ree/Young Wolf
3. These Hard Times - Reverend J.M. Gates
4. Why I Like Roosevelt, Pt. 1
5. Why I Like Roosevelt, Pt. 2
6. In Dat Mornin' - Jimmie Lunceford & His Chickasaw Syncopaters
7. Terrible Operation Blues - The Famous Hokum Boys
8. Mother Fuyer
9. Hello, Sue - Butterbeans & Susie
10. Number Writer
11. Swamp Root - Harmonica Frank Floyd
12. Slow Boogie - Champion Jack Dupree
13. Hambone - Dolores Hawkins & the Hambone Kids/The Hambone Kids/Delores Hawkins/Red Saunders
14. Puerto Vootie - Slim Gaillard Trio
15. When I'm in My Tea - Jo Jo Adams/Maxwell Davis & His All-Stars/Miles Davis All-Stars
16. Road House Boogie
17. Thunderbird - William Walker
18. Uh Oh (Get out of the Car) - The Treniers
19. Hot Mama - Brother Woodman & the Chanters/Ethel Brown/The Chanters/Brother Woodman
20. You Can't Bring Me Down
21. Goodbye Baby - Little Caesar
22. Letter, The - The Medallions/Vernon Green
23. No One to Love Me - The Shaweez
24. Gotta Let You Go - One Man Band/Joe Hill Louis
25. Just Can't Stay - Willie Nix And His Combo
26. Big Break, The - Richard Berry
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 101
Jay Miller; Hellhound MC (Compilation)
Dr. Harry Oster
Personnel: Dolores Hawkins & the Hambone Kids (vocals, whistling); Slim Gaillard, Ashton Savoy, Willie Eason, Big Bill Broonzy (vocals, guitar); Ethel Brown, Katie Webster (vocals, piano); Bam Brown, Billy Boyd (vocals); Eugene Ford, Jane Lucas (rap vocals); Roy Crain, SR. (tenor); R.B. Robinson, Thomas L. Bruster (baritone); Eddie Taylor, Herman Mitchell, Tampa Red (guitar); Snooky Pryor (harmonica); Jewell L. Grant, Jimmie Lunceford, Marshall Royal, Riley Hampton (alto saxophone); Leon Washington, Earl Caruthers, Quedillas Martin, Maxwell Street Jimmy Davis , Big Jay McNeely (tenor saxophone); Floyd Turnham, McKinley Easton (baritone saxophone); Flip Ricard, George Orendorff, John Anderson , Sonny Cohn (trumpet); John Avant (trombone); Moses Allen (tuba); Jimmie O'Brien, Dodo Marmarosa, Earl Washington, Edwin Wilcox, Garland Finney, Georgia Tom Dorsey, Sunnyland Slim, Willard McDaniel (piano); Chico Hamilton, Charlie Gordon, Red Saunders Band, Leonard "Tight" Hardiman, Alfred Wallace, Jimmy Crawford (drums).
Rolling Stone (p.70) - 3.5 stars out of 5 -- "It's not the first hip-hop archaeological dig. But this mix of proto-rap testifying, trash-talking and gibberish from the Twenties to the Sixties may be the most far-ranging one yet."
Spin (p.86) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]his scholarly comp proves its relevance with unwavering and often hilarious topical familiarity."
Be The First To Write A Review
Harte Recordings 101
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.