CD Love Songs [Columbia/Legacy] [Johnny Mathis] (CD 975410),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Love Songs [Columbia/Legacy] [Johnny Mathis]
1. Twelfth of Never, The
2. Folks Who Live on the Hill, The - (from "High, Wide And Handsome")
3. Thee I Love - (from "Friendly Passion")
4. My Funny Valentine - (from "Babes In Arms")
5. I Can't Give You Anything But Love - (from "Blackbirds Of 1928")
6. No Strings - (from "No Strings")
7. She Loves Me - (previously unreleased, from "She Loves Me")
8. Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing - (previously unreleased, from "Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing")
9. Man and a Woman, A - (from "A Man And A Woman")
10. Where Do I Begin - (from "Love Story")
11. And I Love You So
12. You Are the Sunshine of My Life
13. All the Things You Are - (from "Very Warm For May")
14. You Light up My Life
15. True Love - (from "High Society")
16. What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life? - (from "The Birthday Party")
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 87065
Producers include: Ernie Altschuler, L. Russell Brown, Snuff Garrett, Jack Gold, Al Ham.
Compilatin producers: Didier C. Deutsch.
Recorded between 1957 & 1993.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Al Caiola, Tony Mottola (guitar).
Audio Mixer: Darcy Proper.
Photographer: Sam Emerson.
Arrangers: Don Costa; Ernie Freeman Combo; Gene Page; Glenn Osser; Henry Mancini; Michel Legrand; Cyril Ornadel.
Yes, Love Songs is a compilation targeted toward the Valentine's Day market. And how many Johnny Mathis albums, really, could not be said to consist primarily of "love songs"? But actually, this is a little more interesting than it could have been, since it's not just a collection of some hits and favorites with rearranged sequencing. Only one of these 16 tracks, "The Twelfth of Never," was a hit, and the rest of them are songs associated with films and Broadway musicals, like "My Funny Valentine," "Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing," "She Loves Me," "A Man and a Woman," "Where Do I Begin," and "All the Things You Are." Spanning 1957-1993 (though all but two tracks predate the 1980s), it's characteristically lush orchestrated crooning. But it might make for a nice change of pace in those homes where Mathis serves as makeout music since the material isn't overly familiar. For Mathis fans, the chief treats, or the annoyances if you don't appreciate needing to buy an entire CD for a sliver of new offerings, are two unreleased 1965 tracks, the aforementioned "She Loves Me," and "Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing." The disc does stumble by including three mediocre covers of 1970s pop hits, "And I Love You So," "You Light Up My Life," and "You Are the Sunshine of My Life." ~ Richie Unterberger
Be The First To Write A Review
Sony Music Distribution (
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright