CD Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book [3 discs] (CD 991198),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book [3 discs]
0. DISC 1:
1. Rockin' in Rhythm
2. Drop Me Off in Harlem
3. Day Dream
5. Take the "A" Train
6. I Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues
8. I Didn't Know About You
9. I'm Beginning to See the Light
10. Lost in Meditation
12. Cotton Tail
13. Do Nothin' till You Hear From Me
14. Just a-Sittin' and a-Rockin'
16. Rocks in My Bed
17. Satin Doll
18. Sophisticated Lady
0. DISC 2:
1. Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me)
2. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)
4. I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart
5. In a Sentimental Mood
6. Don't Get Around Much Anymore
7. Prelude to a Kiss
8. Mood Indigo
9. In a Mellow Tone
10. Love You Madly
11. Lush Life
12. Squatty Roo
13. I'm Just a Lucky So and So
14. All to Soon
15. Everything But You
16. I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)
0. DISC 3:
1. Chelsea Bridge
2. Portrait of Ella Fitzgerald
3. E and D Blues, The (E For Ella, D For Duke)
4. Chelsea Bridge - (take 1, rehearsal)
5. Chelsea Bridge - (take 2, rehearsal)
6. Chelsea Bridge - (take 3, rehearsal)
7. Chelsea Bridge - (take 4, rehearsal)
8. Chelsea Bridge - (take 5, rehearsal)
9. Chelsea Bridge - (take 6, rehearsal)
10. Chelsea Bridge - (take 7, rehearsal)
11. Chelsea Bridge - (take 8, rehearsal)
12. All Heart - (alternate take)
13. All Heart - (take 1, complete take)
14. All Heart - (take 2, complete take)
15. All Heart - (take 3, complete take)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 559 248
Contains over 40 songs and a 32 page booklet.
Discs 1 and 2 contain all of the material on the 3-disc DUKE ELLINGTON SONG BOOK collection. Disc 3 features previously unreleased recordings of Ellington and Strayhorn rehearsing with Fitzgerald and the orchestra.
Personnel includes: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn, Dizzy Gillespie, Herb Ellis, Clark Terry, Ben Webster, Harry Carney, Oscar Peterson, Johnny Hodges, Billy Strayhorn, Ray Brown, Paul Gonsalves.
Recorded in Hollywood, California and New York, New York in 1956 and 1957. Includes essay by Patricia Willard.
This is part of Verve's Master Edition series.
THE COMPLETE DUKE ELLINGTON SONGBOOK is a three-disc set containing all 38 songs recorded during the sessions for the original vinyl release of THE DUKE ELLINGTON SONGBOOK in 1956. Produced by the legendary Norman Granz, the sessions are simply remarkable, as they capture Fitzgerald at the height of her powers backed by the classic mid-'50s lineup of Ellington's orchestra, featuring Paul Gonsalves, Barney Kessel, and Ben Webster. Pianist extraordinaire Oscar Peterson even sits in. The songs are exquisite, of course. Duke Ellington and his musical partner Billy Strayhorn were possibly the finest songwriters in jazz history, and every track here is a classic. In particular, these renditions of "Prelude to a Kiss," "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," and "Lush Life" may be the definitive versions. This set is essential for all Fitzgerald and Ellington fans.
Down Beat (5/15/58) - 5 Stars - Excellent - "...She seems wholly free, soaring, and swooping with the band....An absolute must in any library..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Out of Stock
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright