CD Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Song Book [Box] [Remaster] (CD 979562),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Sings the George and Ira Gershwin Song Book [Box] [Remaster]
0. DISC 1:
1. Ambulatory Suite: Promenade (Walking the Dog)/March of the Swiss ...: Promenade (Walking The Dog) / March Of The Swiss Soldiers / Fidgety Feet
2. The Preludes: Prelude I/Prelude II/Prelude III: Prelude I / Prelude II / Prelude III
3. Sam and Delilah
4. But Not for Me
5. My One and Only
6. Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
7. (I've Got) Beginner's Luck
8. Oh, Lady Be Good
9. Nice Work If You Can Get It
10. Things Are Looking Up
11. Just Another Rhumba
12. How Long Has This Been Going On?
13. 'S Wonderful
14. Man I Love, The
15. That Certain Feeling
16. By Strauss
17. Someone to Watch Over Me
18. Real American Folk Song, The (Is a Rag)
0. DISC 2:
1. Who Cares?
2. Looking for a Boy
3. They All Laughed
4. My Cousin in Milwaukee
5. Somebody from Somewhere
6. Foggy Day, A
7. Clap Yo' Hands
8. For You, for Me, for Evermore
9. Stiff Upper Lip
10. Boy Wanted
11. Strike Up the Band
13. I've Got a Crush on You
14. Bidin' My Time
15. Aren't You Kind of Glad We Did?
16. Of Thee I Sing (Baby)
17. Half of It, Dearie, Blues, The
18. I Was Doing All Right
19. He Loves and She Loves
20. Love Is Sweeping the Country
21. Treat Me Rough
0. DISC 3:
1. Love Is Here to Stay
2. Slap That Bass
3. Isn't It a Pity?
4. Shall We Dance?
5. Love Walked In
6. You've Got What Gets Me
7. They Can't Take That Away from Me
8. Embraceable You
9. I Can't Be Bothered Now
10. Boy! What Love Has Done to Me!
11. Fascinating Rhythm
12. Funny Face
14. Oh, So Nice
15. Let's Kiss and Make Up
16. I Got Rhythm
0. DISC 4:
1. Somebody Loves Me
2. Cheerful Little Earful
3. But Not for Me - (45 RPM Take)
4. Lorelei - (alternate take)
5. Love Is Here to Stay - (Partial Alternate Take, alternate take, alternate take partial alternative take)
6. Oh, Lady Be Good - (alternate take)
7. Oh, Lady Be Good - (alternate take)
8. Oh, Lady Be Good - (alternate take)
9. But Not for Me - (Mono Mix)
10. Fascinating Rhythm - (Mono Mix)
11. They All Laughed - (Mono Mix)
12. Man I Love, The - (Mono Mix)
13. Nice Work If You Can Get It - (Mono Mix)
14. Clap Yo' Hands - (Mono Mix)
15. Let's Call the Whole Thing Off - (Mono Mix)
16. I Was Doing All Right - (Mono Mix)
17. He Loves and She Loves - (Mono Mix)
18. (I've Got) Beginner's Luck - (Mono Mix)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 539759
Luis P. Valentin
This box set includes the tracks originally released on ELLA FITZGERALD SINGS GEORGE & IRA GERSHWIN SONG BOOK on LP, as well as previously unissued and bonus tracks.
Personnel includes: Ella Fitzgerald (vocals); Nelson Riddle (arranger, conductor); Benny Carter, Ted Nash, Ronnie Lang (alto saxophone); Plas Johnson (tenor saxophone); Pete Condoli, Don Fagerquist, Mannie Klein, Dale McMickle, Shorty Sherock, Cappy Lewis (trumpet); Vincent DeRosa (French horn); Israel Baker, Teddy Pederson (trombone); Karl DeKarske (bass trombone); Ed Gilbert (tuba); Buddy Collette, Jewell Grant, William Green, Champ Webb, Harry Klee (woodwinds); Katherine Julyie (harp); Paul Smith, Loe Levy (piano); Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel (guitar); Joe Mondragon, Joe Comfort, Ralph Pena (bass); Mel Lewis, Alvin Stoller (drums); Larry Bunker, Frank Flynn (percussion).
Producer: Norman Granz.
Reissue producers: Michael Lang, Ben Young.
Recorded at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, California between January 5 and August 20, 1959. Discs one, two and three originally released on Verve (6082-5). Includes liner notes by Lawrence D. Stewart, Ben Young, Phil Bailey and Milt Bernhart.
Digitally remastered by Chris Herles using 20-bit technology from the original master tapes (Polygram Studios).
This is part of the Verve Master Edition series.
Recording information: Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA (01/05/1959-08/20/1959).
The paradox of Ella Fitzgerald's prominence in the history of jazz singing and her lack of emotional intensity is much less apparent on this album. George Gershwin's affinity with jazz, and the corresponding delight jazz musicians take in performing his material, allow the singer to fly with the music. As for brother Ira's lyrics, they receive their due as cheerful, tender and always delightful examples of the lyricist's art. The Songbook series remains one of Ella Fitzgerald's major contributions--among many--to American popular music and this in particular is one of the best of the sizeable bunch.
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright