CD The Django Reinhardt NY Festival: Live at Birdland (CD 411587),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
The Django Reinhardt NY Festival: Live at Birdland
1. Sheik of Araby, The - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg
2. I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg/Joe Ascione/Regina Carter
3. Swing 49 - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg/Birli Lagrne
4. Bei Dir War Es Immer So Schn - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg
5. It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg/Joe Ascione/Regina Carter
6. Nuages - Frank Vignola/Jimmy Rosenberg/Joe Ascione/Florin Niculescu/Bucky Pizzarelli
7. Turkish Delights - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg/Joe Ascione
8. Angelo's Song - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg
9. Gypsymania - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg
10. I Can't Give You Anything But Love - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg
11. Histoire Simple, Une - Jon Burr/Leroy Williams/Pete Malinverni/Babik Reinhardt/Florin Niculescu
12. Limehouse Blues - Frank Vignola/Jon Burr/Jimmy Rosenberg/Bucky Pizzarelli
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 83498
Ettore Stratta; Pat Philips
Performers include: Regina Carter, Florin Niculescu (violin); Bireli Lagrene, Jimmy Rosenberg, Frank Vignola, Bucky Pizzarelli, Babik Reinhardt (guitar); Pete Maliberni (piano); Jon Burr (bass); Leroy Williams (drums); Joe Ascione (brushes).
Recorded live at Birdland, New York, New York on November 29 & December 2, 2000. Includes liner notes by Pat Phillips and Mike Peters.
Personnel: Frank Vignola, Jimmy Rosenberg, Babik Reinhardt, Birli Lagrne, Bucky Pizzarelli (guitar); Regina Carter , Florin Niculescu (violin); Pete Malinverni (piano); Leroy Williams (drums); Joe Ascione (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Jim Czak.
Liner Note Authors: Mike Peters ; Pat Philips.
Recording information: Birdland Jazz Club, New York, NY (11/29/2000-12/02/2000).
Photographer: Pat Philips.
Whether or not many jazz guitarists have any gypsy blood, the influence of Django Reinhardt is often readily apparent in their playing. The Django Reinhardt NY Festival saluted the late master with several critically acclaimed concerts at Birdland in the fall of 2000, featuring no fewer than five Django-influenced guitarists, including his son, Babik Reinhardt (heard in one of his last recordings prior to his death a year later), as well as veteran Bucky Pizzarelli, two rising stars in their thirties, Frank Vignola and Birelli Lagrene, and finally the young sensation Jimmy Rosenberg. Most of the pieces, which include both timeless standards and originals by Reinhardt, date from his heyday in the 1930s and 1940s, with the exception of originals by Rosenberg and Babik Reinhardt. The guitarists are mixed or matched in pairs or a trio, joined by bassist Jon Burr (who was Stephane Grappelli's bassist for the last decade of his life) and on occasion, violinists Regina Carter or Florin Niculescu, the brushes of Joe Ascione, and pianist Pete Malinverni. It is tough to pick a favorite between Rosenberg, Vignola, and Lagrene (the spotlighted players, though Pizzarelli is no slouch), as their instinctive interplay and reactions to one another throughout the CD are a treat. Carter, however, is a clear cut above Niculescu, whose solos just aren't as striking. Most of the tracks are short and to the point, excepting an almost ten-minute interpretation of Django's best-known composition, "Nuages," though the quick run through Duke Ellington's "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)" rivals it as the most memorable performance. Fans of jazz guitar will devour this very tasty release. ~ Ken Dryden
JazzTimes (7-8/02, p.136) - "...Check this out for a greater appreciation of Django's lasting influence and the degree to which his worship can be taken..."
Be The First To Write A Review
Atlantic (Label) 83498
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright