CD Explorations: Classic Picante Regrooved (CD 1101185),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Explorations: Classic Picante Regrooved
1. Mambo Mindoro - Cal Tjader (Hex Hector Remix, Hex Hector remix)
2. Ran Kan Kan - Tito Puente (Thunderball vs. The Fort Knox Five Remix, Thunderball Vs. The Fort Knox Five)
3. Come with Me - Tania Maria (Masters at Work Remix, Masters At Work remix)
4. Watermelon Man - Poncho Sanchez (Dan the Automator Remix, Dan The Automator remix)
5. Afro Blue - Mongo Santamara (Yerba Buena Remix, remix)
6. Work Song - Ray Barretto (Thievery Corporation Remix, Thievery Corporation remix)
7. Guachi Guaro - Cal Tjader (Carl Cox Remix, Carl Cox remix)
8. Whatcha Gonna Do - Pete Escovedo (Cuica Remix, Cuica remix)
9. Wave - Charlie Byrd (Mario C. Remix, Mario C. remix)
10. Killer Joe - Jorge Dalto (The Frequency Remix, The Chakadoons remix)
11. Machito Forever - Tito Puente (Cut Chemist Remix, Cut Chemist remix)
12. Timbalon, El - Tito Puente (Los Amigos Invisibles Jamcito remix)
13. Ay Que Rico II - Eddie Palmieri (Ozomatli Remix, Ozomatli remix)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 2206
Chris Dunn; Marc Cazorla; Kas Rus Crew; Hex Hector; DJ Afro; Carl Cox, Jr.; Mario C.; Andres Levin
Cut Chemist; Marc Cazorla; David Sussman; Geoff Sanoff; Alex Stiff
Personnel: Asdrubal Sierra (vocals, trumpet); Pedro Martinez (vocals, percussion); Cucu Diamantes, Lyrics Born, Xiomara Laugart (vocals); Ral Pacheco, Mike Ciro (guitar); Andres Levin (electric guitar); Edmar Castaneda (harp, maracas); Ron Blake (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Rashawn Ross (trumpet); Peter Masitti, Selan Lerner (keyboards); Ernesto Simpson (drums); Hermides Benitez (timbales, percussion); Jiro Yamaguchi, Justin "El Nio" Pore (percussion).
Audio Mixers: Kent Hitchcock; Cut Chemist; Josh Copp; Eduardo Larez; Andres Levin; Steven Barkan.
Audio Remixers: Eric Hilton; Hex Hector; Carl Cox, Jr.; Rob Garza.
Liner Note Author: Marc Cazorla.
Recording information: Fun Machine Studios, New York, NY; Los Angeles, CA; Pulse Studios, Staten Island, New York, NY; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil; Space Bar; STratosphere Sound, New York, NY; The Consulate, Washington DC.
All tracks have been digitally mastered using 24-bit technology.
If the point of a remix is to make something new out of something old, then Explorations: Classic Picante Regrooved surely succeeds. Here are archetypal Latin jazz sides by such giants as Tito Puente, Ray Barretto, Eddie Palmieri, Mongo Santamaria, and Cal Tjader put through the remix grinder by hot-button contemporary DJs, producers, and bands, including Thievery Corporation, Ozomatli, Dan the Automator, Los Amigos Invisibles, and Yerba Buena. In several instances, such as Thievery Corporation's remix of Barretto's "Work Song," only trace elements of the source recording are audible, yet the funky, bass-piloted dancefloor pulse that rolls over those elements casts the revision as an innovative, stand-alone entity that doesn't borrow so much as pay homage. Whether reconsidered as a chillout groove or a fiery, pounding assault, the re-creations -- some with new vocals added -- profess reverence for and make reference to the masters, but stop short of bowing down at their altars. If, however, the job of the remixer is to improve upon the original concept, then these studio technicians have sadly been defeated in their quest. Listening to Dan the Automator's re-think of Poncho Sanchez's "Watermelon Man" and Marlo C.'s remix of Charlie Byrd's "Wave" incorporating a newly recorded Brazilian rhythm section, one only longs to revisit the nearly perfect originals. Who needs a remix when the original was perfection personified? ~ Jeff Tamarkin
Global Rhythm (Publication) (p.50) - "[T]his is generally a loving and vigorous look back at some of Latin jazz's most vivacious music."
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.