CD Hit Me With Your 80's Box [Box] (CD 988479),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Hit Me With Your 80's Box [Box]
0. DISC 1:
1. Brass in Pocket - The Pretenders
2. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield
3. Maneater - Hall & Oates
4. Super Freak, Pt. 1 - Rick James
5. Down Under - Men at Work
6. Stray Cat Strut - Stray Cats
7. Goody Two Shoes - Adam Ant
8. I Know What Boys Like - The Waitresses
9. Safety Dance, The - Men Without Hats
10. Mr. Telephone Man - New Edition
11. Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell
12. Whip It - Devo
13. I Ran - A Flock of Seagulls
14. Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran
0. DISC 2:
1. Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
2. We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister
3. Warrior, The - Patty Smyth/Scandal
4. Drive - The Cars
5. Jeopardy - Greg Kihn
6. Jump (For My Love) - The Pointer Sisters
7. Caribbean Queen (No More Love on the Run) - Billy Ocean
8. Easy Lover - Phil Collins/Philip Bailey
9. Cruel Summer - Bananarama
10. She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
11. No More Words - Berlin
12. Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling
13. True - Spandau Ballet
14. Broken Wings - Mr. Mister
0. DISC 3:
1. Walking on Sunshine - Katrina & the Waves
2. Miami Vice Theme - Jan Hammer
3. You Belong to the City - Glenn Frey
4. No One Is to Blame - Howard Jones
5. Holding Back the Years - Simply Red
6. Nightshift - The Commodores
7. Oh Sheila - Ready for the World
8. Word Up! - Cameo
9. Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic
10. Something About You - Level 42
11. Breakout - Swing Out Sister
12. Walk Like an Egyptian - Bangles
13. Heaven Is a Place on Earth - Belinda Carlisle
14. Don't Know What You Got (Till It's Gone) - Cinderella
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 585379
Compilation producers: Mike Ragogna, Pat Lawrence.
Includes liner notes by Kevin Flaherty.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Liner Note Author: Kevin Flaherty.
Photographers: B.C. Kagan; Larry Williams .
Hit Me With Your 80's Box! is a sequel to Hip-O's previous three-disc compilation, I Want My 80's Box!, released six months earlier, and like its predecessor, it contains 42 pop singles chart entries from the 1980s, most of them released between 1981 and 1986, and all of them familiar to anyone who watched MTV in those years. In its first five years of existence following its premiere on August 1, 1981, MTV, which broadcast music videos pretty much 24 hours a day (as opposed to the varied programming that characterized the network 20 years later), heavily influenced the pop charts, contributing to the success of a raft of videogenic stars such as Duran Duran, Rick Springfield, and Billy Idol, all of whom are featured here. The set is not quite as hit-laden as I Want My 80's Box!, which contained 35 Top Ten hits, among them 15 chart-toppers; the statistics here are 31 Top Tens, of which ten went to number one. But the orientation is still the same -- the trendy dance-pop music of the first half of the '80s. Tracks have been licensed from all of the major labels, overcoming one of the usual problems with compilations. But other typical weaknesses remain. The sequencing makes no particular sense, though it moves in very rough chronological order, such that the early-'80s tracks are on the first disc and the third disc contains a track (Technotronic's "Pump Up the Jam") that actually peaked in the charts in early 1990. And the selection consists of recordings that are compiled over and over, the big hits of lots of minor artists rather than big stars. So, this is not a comprehensive collection of the decade's most popular music. But if you grew up in the '80s, there's plenty here to enjoy. ~ William Ruhlmann
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.