CD Pot of Gold: Remixes [Digipak] (CD 6263713),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Pot of Gold: Remixes [Digipak]
0. DISC 1:
1. Let Us Be Loving [Kidkanevil Remix] - (Kidkanevil Remix, remix)
2. Got the Hunger? [DJ Vadim Remix] - (DJ Vadim Remix, remix)
3. Living the Life of a Dreamer [Mr. Scruff Remix] - (Mr Scruff Remix, remix)
4. All Alone [Mocean Worker Remix] - (Mocean Worker Remix, remix)
5. Universe [Kid Gusto Remix] - (remix)
6. Two Steps [Herma Puma Remix] - (remix)
7. Hurry on Now [Emika Remix] - (remix)
8. Lights Went Out [LJM Remix] - (remix)
9. Let Us Be Loving [The Clonious Remix] - (remix)
10. Living the Life of a Dreamer [Lilstemix] - (remix)
11. Got the Hunger? [J-Boogie's Houston Remix] - (remix)
0. DISC 2:
1. Two Steps [Shawn Lee's 7 Inches of Soul Remix] - (remix)
2. All Alone [Captain Planet Remix] - (Captain Planet Remix, remix)
3. Got the Hunger [Llorca's Remix] - (Llorca Remix, remix)
4. Universe [Dusty Remix] - (Dusty Remix, remix)
5. Two Steps [Ohmega Watts Remix] - (Ohmega Watts Remix, remix)
6. Lights Went Out [ZNTN mix] - (remix)
7. Got The Hunger [Ticklah Remix] - (Ticklah Remix, remix)
8. All Alone [DJ Day Meets Clutchy Hopkins Remix] - (remix)
9. Let Us Be Loving [Yellowtail Remix] - (Yellowtail Remix, remix)
10. Got the Hunger [The Heavy Remix] - (remix)
11. Universe [GRC's Quiet Carnival Remix] - (remix)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 1164
Alex Cowan; Ben Burns
Personnel: Alice Russell (vocals).
Audio Mixers: Alex Cowan; Nick Routledge; Alice Russell.
Recording information: 12A Studios; Andrew Kingslow's House Of Fish, Manchester, England; The Cosmic Trigger; Timberyard Studios, London, England; Trans-Yank Studio, London, England.
Photographer: Digby Oldridge.
Alice Russell's Pot of Gold, was issued at the end of 2008 by American independent imprint Six Degrees. It was met with wide critical acclaim for its strict adherence to soul tradition. That said, there is so much pure emotion in Russell's voice and discipline in her phrasing, that none of what she presented sounds staid or overly reverential -- check out the gospel-frenzied reading of Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy." Six Degrees steps up in 2009 with this 22-cut, double-disc remix collection; eight were sourced from Pot of Gold proper and most of these have multiple versions Some of the artists assembling these remixes include DJ Vadim, Mocean Worker, Ohmega Watts, Llorca, Shawn Lee, DJ Day with Clutchy Hopkins, Ticklah, and Clonious to name a few. Standouts include the killer dubwise version of the Emrika redo of Russell's signature tune, "Hurry on Now," that re-creates it via minimalist techno and stretched-out, abstract, digital dub. The abstraction of LJM's remix of "Lights Went Out" keeps the barest essential of the melody, shimmering over the entire tune with a violin, scratchy ambience, and an extremely minimal looped rhythm track. Lee's take on "Two Steps" is hard bubbling bass, popping handclaps, and cracking breakbeat soul atmospherics with in-your-face guitars, strings, and organ take the track back to the late `60s while keeping it in the moment. Llorca's driven, late-'60s funk-styled version of "Got the Hunger?" tune is the best of the four versions here. "Universe," by Dusty, reinvents Russell as a jazz singer with flute and Grant Green-styled guitar, and a doubled-timed snare in the backdrop that breaks in all the right places with a bridge built of pure Brazilian samba. This set is for the fans and version collectors to be sure, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable listen all the way through with many surprises; all of them enhancing the not-always-immediately-noticeable subtleties in the many dimensions of Russell's voice. ~ Thom Jurek
Be The First To Write A Review
Six Degrees 1164
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.