CD Rare & Unreleased Recordings from the Golden Reign of the Queen of Soul (CD 1144747),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Rare & Unreleased Recordings from the Golden Reign of the Queen of Soul
0. DISC 1:
1. I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You) - (Demo)
2. Dr. Feelgood (Love Is a Serious Challenge) - (Demo)
3. Sweet Bitter Love - (Demo)
4. It Was You - (Aretha Arrives Outtake)
5. Letter, The - (Aretha Arrives Outtake)
6. So Soon - (Aretha Arrives Outtake)
7. Mr. Big - (Aretha Arrives Outtake)
8. Talk to Me, Talk to Me - (Soul '69 Outtake)
9. Fool on the Hill, The - (This Girl's In Love With You Outtake)
10. Pledging My Love/The Clock - (Single B-Side)
11. You're Taking up Another Man's Place - (Spirit In the dark Outtake)
12. You Keep Me Hangin' On - (This Girl's In Love With You/Spirit In the Dark Outtake)
13. I'm Trying to Overcome - (This Girl's In Love With You/Spirit In the Dark Outtake)
14. My Way - (Spirit In the Dark Outtake)
15. My Cup Runneth Over - (Young, Gifted And Black Outtake)
16. You're All I Need to Get By - (Take 1)
17. You're All I Need to Get By - (Take 2)
18. Lean on Me - (Single B-Side)
0. DISC 2:
1. Rock Steady - (alternate take, Young, Gifted And Black Outtake)
2. I Need a Strong Man (The to-to Song) - (Young, Gifted And Black Outtake)
3. Heavenly Father - (Young, Gifted And Black Outtake)
4. Sweetest Smile and the Funkiest Style - (Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of th Sky) Outtake)
5. This Is - (Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of th Sky) Outtake)
6. Tree of Life - (Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of th Sky) Outtake)
7. Do You Know - (Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of th Sky) Outtake)
8. Can You Love Again - (Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of th Sky) Outtake)
9. I Want to Be With You - (Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of th Sky) Outtake)
10. Suzanne - (Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of th Sky) Outtake)
11. That's the Way I Feel About Cha - (alternate take, Hey Now Hey (The Other Side Of th Sky) Outtake)
12. Ain't But the One
13. Happy Blues, The - (Let Me In Your Life Outtake)
14. At Last - (Let Me In Your Life Outtake)
15. Love Letters - (Let Me In Your Life Outtake)
16. I'm in Love - (Let Me In Your Life Outtake)
17. Are You Leaving Me - (Demo)
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): R-22721BB
Quincy Jones; Aretha Franklin; Arif Mardin; Jerry Wexler
Personnel: Aretha Franklin (vocals, piano); Cornell Dupree, Duane Allman, Eddie Hinton, Jimmy Johnson, Joe South (guitar); Hugh McCracken (gut-string guitar); Frank Wess, George Dorsey (alto saxophone); Charles Chalmers (tenor saxophone); Willie Bridges (baritone saxophone); Wayne Jackson (trumpet, flugelhorn); Richard Williams, Melvin Lastie (trumpet); Tony Studd (bass trombone); Spooner Oldham, Barry Beckett (organ); Jim Dickinson (keyboards); Chuck Rainey, David Hood, Eric Gale , Jerry Jemmott, Tommy Cogbill, Tommy McClure (bass guitar); Al Jackson, Jr. , Roger Hawkins (drums); Cissy Houston, Sweethearts Of Soul, Dee Dee Warwick, Erma Franklin, Pat Lewis, Sylvia Shemwell, The Sweet Inspirations, Almeda Lattimore, Brenda Bryant, Margaret Branch, Evelyn Greene, Wyline Ivy, Carolyn Franklin (background vocals).
This excellent set of rare and unreleased recordings is the mother lode for fans of Aretha Franklin's classic Atlantic material. Its two discs are packed with demos, outtakes, and B-sides that represent Franklin, arguably, at her rawest, most dynamic, and most appealing. The set, arranged chronologically, begins with stripped-down demos from her 1966 debut, I NEVER LOVED A MAN THE WAY THAT I LOVE YOU (including a smoking version of "Dr. Feelgood"), and continues through her early '70s recordings for Atlantic.
In addition to the queen's powerhouse performances, the set also impresses with its wide range of material. Franklin offers interpretations of Paul McCartney's "Fool on the Hill," Ashford & Simpson's "You're All I Need to Get By," Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne," and Bobby Womack's "I'm in Love," among other surprises. The soul siren's facility with both pop and hard R&B is underscored by a serious gospel fervor. Many of the arrangements will sound surprisingly spare and/or different to those familiar with the released recordings from the era, but it's that difference that makes RARE & UNRELEASED such a treasure trove.
No Depression (p.90) - "The opening track, her demo of 'I Never Loved A Man', will galvanize the most jaded soul fan, as will nearly every subsequent number on this two-disc set. Astonishing..."
Q (Magazine) (p.119) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "[A]n intriguing assortment....Franklin's voice is captivating from the start, whether on the swinging soul of 'So Soon' or the gospel-tinged 'You Keep Me Hangin' On'."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.86) - 5 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t's her cover of 'My Way' that really shows her indelible skill for reimagination. In Aretha's hands it becomes a rousing slice of rollicking R&B, with Pat Lewis and The Sweet Inspirations chiming in behind her."
Be The First To Write A Review
Rhino (Label) 8122799703
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.