CD Sanctified Soul [Kent] (CD 114078),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Sanctified Soul [Kent]
1. That's How It Feels - Don Covay/Joe Tex/Arthur Conley/Solomon Burke/The Soul Clan/Ben E. King
2. I Stole Some Love - Don Covay & the Goodtimers
3. Can't Live Without You - Soul Brothers Six
4. I'll Put It to You - James Carr
5. Is It Over? - Otis Clay
6. You Don't Have to See Me - Arthur Conley
7. Your Love's Not Reliable - Fern Kinney
8. Cover Me - Jackie Moore
9. Signed, Miss Heroin - Sam Dees
10. George Jackson - J.P. Robinson
11. They Don't Know - Percy Wiggins
12. You Mean So Much to Me - The Mad Lads
13. He'll Have to Go - Solomon Burke
14. Feed the Flame - Ted Taylor
15. Greatest Love, The - Judy Clay
16. Suffering Pain, A - Jeff Dale
17. Love Have Mercy
18. Ad for Love
19. I've Loved You So Long - Rudy Lewis
20. Get It Over
21. You Are Too Much for the Human Heart - Hermon Hitson
22. For Better or Worse - Wilson Pickett
23. Leave You in the Arms (Of Your Other Man) - Roscoe Robinson
24. Message to My Woman - Walter Rhodes
25. Cheer Up (Daddy's Coming Home)
26. Time to Say Goodbye - Bettye Swann
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): 180
Don Covay; Johnny Brantley; Jerry Greenberg; Nate Nelson; Tony Bell; Huey P. Meaux; LeBaron Taylor; Randy Richards; Jerry Crutchfield; Jerry Puckett; Jerry Wexler; Marlin Greene; Otis Redding; Phil Hurtt; Quin Ivy; Rick Hall; Roscoe Robinson; Arif Mardin; Sam Dees; Tom Dowd; Tommy Couch; W; Willie Mitchell; Wilson Pickett; Bert Berns; Brad Shapiro
Liner Note Author: Dave Godin.
Arrangers: Jesse Herring; Garry Sherman; Harrison Calloway; Tony Bell; Otis Redding; Rick Hall; Arif Mardin; Brad Shapiro.
Both this and another Kent compilation, Our Turn to Cry, dig deep into the Atlantic vaults for a lot of slow soul from the 1960s and early '70s that's pretty hard to find, either in its original form or on reissue. Sanctified Soul, as the title would lead you to expect, is more oriented toward churchy, pleading songs than its companion volume is. The constant, emotionally wrought, deliberate pace of the tracks does make you wish for a little wider canvas of moods over the course of a 26-track compilation. It remains, however, a good group of tunes from one of the powerhouse soul labels, populated by unknowns and higher-profile singers with cult followings, like James Carr, Don Covay, Arthur Conley, Otis Clay, Judy Clay, and Bettye Swann. Relative heavyweights Wilson Pickett and Solomon Burke are also represented, with 1964 singles; there's also the only Atlantic solo single by Drifters lead vocalist Rudy Lewis, 1963's "I've Loved You So Long." The Soul Clan, the temporary soul supergroup of Arthur Conley, Ben E. King, Burke, Covay, and Joe Tex, lead off with their 1968 single "That's How It Feels." It's all reasonably satisfying, but not much is so outstanding that you'll be tempted to put it on selective tapes of rare soul gems. One interesting derailment from the hand-wringing love songs so common to the genre is Sam Dees' 1973 single "Signed, Miss Heroin," a look at drug use at a time when Curtis Mayfield's Superfly had opened up soul to such subjects. You don't find many soul covers of Bob Dylan songs, either, and J.P. Robinson's interpretation of "George Jackson" (from a 1972 single) is one. [This U.K. import is not available for sale in North America.] ~ Richie Unterberger
Q (6/00, p.119) - 3 stars out of 5 - "Kent Records are renowned for fine compilations of classic obscure soul and R&B sides, and this is no exception....A late-night extravaganza."
Mojo (Publisher) (9/00, p.114) - "...Downright essential..."
Be The First To Write A Review
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.