CD Sweet Soul Music: 1968  (CD 4680754),
Movie Mars Home Page
Welcome to MovieMars.com!
back to browsing
Sweet Soul Music: 1968 
1. I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
2. I'm In Love - Wilson Pickett
3. (1-2-3-4-5-6-7) Count The Days - Inez & Charlie Foxx
4. (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding
5. We're A Winner - The Impressions
6. Dance To The Music - Sly & the Family Stone
7. End Of Our Road, The - Gladys Knight & the Pips
8. Cowboys To Girls - The Intruders
9. I Thank You - Sam & Dave
10. Tighten Up Part 1 - Archie Bell & the Drells
11. Take Time To Know Her - Percy Sledge
12. Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
13. Lover's Holiday - Peggy Scott & Jo Jo Benson
14. (Sweet Sweeet Baby) Since You've Been Gone - Aretha Franklin
15. Funky Street - Arthur Conley
16. Stay In My Corner (Single Edit) - The Dells
17. I've Never Found A Girl ( To Love Me Like You) - Eddie Floyd
18. Grazing In The Grass - Hugh Masekela
19. Slip Away - Clarence Carter
20. Love Makes A Woman - Barbara Acklin
21. Say It Loud ? I'm Black & I'm Proud (Part 1) - James Brown
22. Girl Watcher - The O'Kaysions
23. Snake, The - Al Wilson
24. Hey, Western Union Man - Jerry Butler
25. Soulful Strut - Young-Holt Unlimited
26. Who's Making Love - Johnnie Taylor
27. Temptations, The - Cloud Nine
28. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye
Manufacturer Part Number (MPN): BCD16973
A sequel of sorts to Bear Family's amazing R&B series Blowin' the Fuse -- which covered the growth of R&B from 1945 to 1960 and its evolution into soul -- the Sweet Soul Music series picks things up from there, and charts the unfolding of soul music in all of its incarnations from 1961 to 1970 through ten wonderfully packaged and assembled sets arranged chronologically and drawing on all of the music's major players, from Motown and Chess to Stax and Atlantic and beyond. It's an impressive achievement in licensing and vision, and each volume features Bear Family's usual care and attention to detail, but what makes it all work, of course, is the music, which is as delightful to hear as it is historically vital. This volume covers the year 1968 and includes classics like Smokey Robinson's "I Second That Emotion," Sam & Dave's "I Thank You," Otis Redding's "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay," the Temptations' "Cloud Nine," and so much more. Every track shines and reveals new joys by affiliation -- listening to these 29 sides is like time traveling back to a beautiful summer's night and a long drive with the top down. This is what Bear Family does so well, turning out collections of essential music lovingly assembled, remastered, and restored. Sweet is exactly the right word for each of the ten volumes in this series. ~ Steve Leggett
Be The First To Write A Review
Bear Family Records (Germany) BCD16973
In Stock -- Item Ships for FREE
Add to wishlist
What viewers like you said...
Have you listened to this album?
Be the first to write a review
Also suggested for you...
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
buy now for
Copyright © 2004-2013 Movie Mars, Inc.
All rights reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Movie Mars, Inc. As such, reproduction in whole or in part, by any means, and any use for commercial purposes, of any portion of the material contained herein, including, but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, trademarks, photographs, video clips and sounds files is strictly prohibited. Portions of this page Copyright 1981 - 2013 Muze, Inc. All rights reserved.